Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Core 2 Duo or Pentium 4

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I am buying a Stealth NE from Vigor gaming computers and I am wondering what kind of processor I should get. I want to be able to play any video game including Battlefield 2142. I am leaning towards the (Intel Pentium 4 processor 930 Dual Core at 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2x2M Cache). Should I upgrade to the Core 2 Duo? And which one will be the best for me if I want to get the most for my money? :whistling:

http://www.vigorgami..._stealthne.html

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The C2D is by far the superior CPU the P4 930 wasnt all that great a CPU and isnt a patch on any of the core 2s.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
he is right.. Even the Intel low end core 2 duo e6300 will be faster than the fastest Pentium D.

Make sure you get good ram for your pc ddr2 533mhz pc2 4200 is rather slow.. Companies like that will rip you a new one on stuff like that so you gotta watch out for things like that, they start you off with the very lowest hardware/parts as the default system..

Same thing on the powersupply and video cards... Get higher quality stuff than the default items..

Edited by jrm20, 14 March 2007 - 08:31 PM.

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Yeah man, i totally agree with getting the Core 2 Duo, it's worth it believe me...

And BTW, the The "Dual-Core Pentium 4 930" is called Pentium D (D for dual-core)

It's practically your choice, but the Core 2 Duo is alot better than Pentium D, but if you're tight on the budget, get at least a 940 (if not a 945)

Good Luck :whistling:

Pers

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is no competition here, it's like comparing an apple to an orange. Don't compare this two processors with their clock speed as the Core 2 Duo can perform more per cycle then the Pentium D. Not to mention run half as hot and require many less watts.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
more like comparing an apple to a racecar. :whistling: any core 2 duo will blow away any pentium D.