Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well last time I installed Ubuntu on my laptop the internet didn't work. So now I was wondering if any of you guys know how to fix that. I don't have it installed currently. But I use wireless, and even when I plug my laptop in to my router it still doesn't work. And for future reference. I plan to build a computer with a Linksys wireless card and I was wondering if those wireless cards are compatible with Ubuntu so I don't have the same problems. And I would still like to see if anyone can get Ubuntu to work on my laptop. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Have you run ifconfig to see if the NIC is showing up (eth0) and if so if it has pulled an IP address?

If it isn't showing up I would hit the Ubuntu support forums and see if your NIC is supported.

If it is showing up have you tried setting the eth0 IP statically and then seeing if you can connect?

One other step is if the interface is not showing you might remove it from the system, restart with it removed, then shutdown, add the interface again, and see if the new hardware detection runs and detects the interface. If it doesn't I'd say that Ubuntu doesn't support it or the interface is faulty.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If it fails using wireless and wired, it may just be a config issue. Get the wired to work and then tackle the wireless. You can also check the Ubuntu forums for a list of supported wireless cards.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
It is a little tricky to get wireless cards set up in Ubuntu, and no offense to thenotch or 98springer, but they aren't leading you in the right direction. I would be glad to give you step-by-step instructions on how to get your wireless card working once you answer these questions:

Which wireless card do you have on your laptop? Also, what version of Ubuntu do you use?

As for the Linksys question, yes, a Linksys wireless card will work fine on Ubuntu. I personally use a Linksys WMP54GS with my Ubuntu 6.10 and it works great.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

It is a little tricky to get wireless cards set up in Ubuntu, and no offense to thenotch or 98springer, but they aren't leading you in the right direction.

I beg to differ.. the question mentions that access via even a wired connection is failing... this is more than a wireless connection issue:

But I use wireless, and even when I plug my laptop in to my router it still doesn't work

Thats great that you can lead him in a better direction that we did, but you fail to mention how... the question appears to be about getting Ubuntu to work and to make the current laptop connection work as well... the wireless appears to be a future issue...

Drumbum667, can you clarify the question what you are trying to actually get accomplished...

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I apologize thenotch, I somehow missed the part about the wired connection failing as well. I admittedly have no experience in setting up wired connections with Ubuntu, so I'm not going to try to help this person with that. If they want help with the wireless connection, I will help them there.

However, I believe we both agree that we need more info in order to help this person.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

I apologize thenotch, I somehow missed the part about the wired connection failing as well. I admittedly have no experience in setting up wired connections with Ubuntu, so I'm not going to try to help this person with that. If they want help with the wireless connection, I will help them there.

However, I believe we both agree that we need more info in order to help this person.

Absolutely... clarity is the path to happiness... :whistling:

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Sorry for not posting for a couple months. Must have forgot I made this topic. Anyways yes wired does not work either. I would like to know how to fix both. My laptop is currently broken so when I get it back Im going to check what my wireless card is, and just check to see if it works in Ubuntu because now Im using 7.04 and haven't tried using internet yet because I mainly use XP and I have finals in a week.