Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

strange sound when i open winamp or ableton live 6

• Please log in to reply

mariano

mariano

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello geeksToGo,

having a strange problem here and not even sure where to begin figuring this out.
whenever i open winamp or Ableton Live 6, I get a HORRIFIC sound from the audio output of my system.
its like a loud white noise / buzzing sound. it comes through the laptop speakers, or if i hook in headphones, it will come through there as well.
also, winamp wont even open all the way, the sound starts as soon as I try to open the program, but winamp itself never loads and from there I have to restart my system by holding my power button (start menu -> shut down becomes unresponsive) with Live, the sound starts right away as well, but the program itself will load, but is very slow and the sound will stop once you close the program.

i thought it would happen anytime i opened any audio related program, but it doesnt happen with windows media player or Sony Sound Forge. I can play audio just fine using these programs. so my audio hardware is not entirely shot.

ive never experienced a problem like this, and dont really know where to start. my device manager listings for 'audio devices' say everything is working properly.

just to give the most information possible to any reader who can help, I have just upgraded my memory today, and been trying to 'thin out' my system for better performance over the past couple days. I dont know if these would have anything to do with this issue, but have to mention it. i dont know if any audio related services or settings were disabled / changed in the past couple days of tweaking. The memory was recognized fine by the bios, and my system in general feels clean and stable, with no other problems except this.

any help is appreciated, i need to use LIVE!

Advertisements

mariano

mariano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok, so an update on my situation.
i uninstalled winamp, and downloaded the newest version from winamp.com and that seemed to fix the problem with winamp.
Live 6 is the main issue now. I've opened it again a few times and I've noticed that the noise doesnt start until the Live 6 splash screen says 'creating new live set', the last of the initializations before the program opens.
Once I'm in the program, I have tried opening the preferences and playing with the 'audio device' option. If I select 'No audio' the noise will stop. But as soon as I select my mme/direct x driver or asio driver the sound starts again, although there is a difference in the sound between the two drivers. I REALLY want to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling Live if I can.
Hope someone picks this up and can help me out..
thanks in advance
-Mariano