Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Up arrow key stuck, always toggled On

• Please log in to reply

emjohns

emjohns

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The up arrow key on my computer is always toggled On. Any menu I bring up scrolls rapidly upwards. Clicking on a window cause it to move upwards, etc... This slows down the boot process dramatically, and makes my computer pretty much unusable once it gets going. This behavior happens with or without a keyboard connected to the box. Any ideas?

Advertisements

emjohns

emjohns

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I left the computer on for awhile... about an hour later it did several beeping sounds, and then the problem was gone! Well, it became so that when I could right click something, it would beep repeatedly, like some other button was stuck, or toggled on. But only about five minutes later, that behavior went away, and the computer returned back to normal. I really don't know what happened, or why it's working now and didn't before.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It might be that the keyboard and mouse drivers are corrupted. If you have or can get a xp installation disk insert it into the drive. Click Start > run. Type sfc /scannow. A blue bar will show up. It's quite a long process and when it ends the bar disappears without any notice. This process should fix corrupted system files.