Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ERROR;16 bit Windows Sybsystem

• Please log in to reply

Classy2

Classy2

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
ERROR; 16 bit Windows Sybsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Widows applications.
Close to terminate the application.
Boxes says Close or Ignore

I have been running this old and immediate needed program. I have unistalled and reinstall a few times and it works.

I am a novice at this;however wouldnt making an autoexec.bat help?
Andwhere can I check why my system is running in 16 bit?

Please help me :tazz:

Advertisements

Classy2

Classy2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
To Kevin,
I saw someone else who was also was getting a '' 16 bit error'' on this forum. You reecommnded '' XP FIX IT.
My always used, contained every phone# suddenly stopped working. My method of unistalling n reinstalling did not work as it ussualy did. This program is an set of index cards its a program from win 3.1 and I love it and havent found anthing else like it.

Thank you Kevin for your time and sharing your priceless knowledge! :tazz:
To any staff that reads this thank you for making this forum. You saved me money I could never afford. To all you wonderfull staff thank you.
Please if you show my post to Kevin Id so much appreciated.

Classy2 ;)

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸©OPYRIGHT¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸©OPYRIGHT¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! The answer to this is pretty complicated but clear.

1. Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
exit
5. Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.
6. Note: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand it from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.
7. In Notepad, type the following entries: dos=high, umb
device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

8. On the File menu, click Save As.
9. In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the Config.nt file.
10. On the File menu, click New.
11. In the new blank document, type the following entries: @echo off
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir
lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

12. On the File menu, click Save As.
13. In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the Autoexec.nt file.
14. Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.
15. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
16. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.
17. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
18. Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and then click Copy.
19. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart your computer.
If the issue continues to occur, copy the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt files from the Repair folder in Windows to the System folder. To do so, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then click OK.
2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.
3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and then click OK.
4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.
5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied, and then click Properties.
6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.
Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be removed after you restart Windows.

Hope I've helped ya!

Chris