Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get in

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
This morning I got up and like every morning I went to check the news and my mail before I ate breakfast. I went to my computer and noticed it was on the Windows XP loading screen but it was frozen. This seemed really odd to me but all I could do was turn off the computer and try turning it back on. It said there was a problem and to restart Windows normally, so I did. Same thing happened. I tried again in safe mode and it only got so far down the list before it froze again. I can use recovery mode and things like that but I personally can't do much with them. All I did last night was send an email and go to bed, I can't think of anything I did yesterday out of the ordinary. And what I did notice is that every time the computer tries to turn on, when it gets to the point where its gonna stop, all the lights on the keyboard flash, the scroll, numn and caps lock, blink. Then the computer just stops making noise altogether but the light is still on. Can someone please help me with this. Tell me what caused this or how to fix it please. Thank you so much if you can.

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
can we have alittle more information, I'm not as experienced as some of the guys here, but to me it sounds like a driver problem, Keyboard light should flash when the computer boots, os this is normal.

Could you tell us what the last line of the code is when you try booting in safe mode? this may give us some indication of where the computer is sticking.

Do you have the orginal XP cd which came with the machine?

Thanks

Glen

katherz9

katherz9

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
The same problem is occuring on my puter this morning. Last night when I went to turn it off I got a message saying " windows is installing updates do not log off computer will shut off when updates complete. I left it at that. It did shut off by itself but this morning windows will not load and also cannot start in safe mode. Could it be something windows downloaded in thier automatic updates???????
Any help PLEASE??????
Kathy
I have the windows xp media center 2002 disc that came with the system. Dell xps-400

Edited by katherz9, 15 March 2007 - 10:03 AM.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
The last driver to load in safe mode is...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys

I have a Windows install CD but it didn't come with the computer.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Enter bios and make cdrom your first priority boot device. Insert the cd to the disk drive and reboot. Run Setup up to the point where you get three options, one of them being press R for recovery console. Press R. Press 1 when asked for windows installation (assuming you have only one xp installation). Press Enter when asked for passport or enter password if you have one. Now type chkdsk /r and press enter. let the process run to the end. It's quite long.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
This is a long process... is this hopefully going to fix the problem when it done or do you expect more steps after this?

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
It finished and it did nothing.... I still don't make it past "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys". Any other ideas?

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
ok... I used the Windows install CD to repair it and now Im into the computer... all my files are still intact and everyhting looks great except for the fact that a little yellow triangle keeps poppin up in the right hand corner saying that everyhting is corrupt... that whatever Im using is corrupt and that C:\ is corrupt. Ive run chkdsk quite a few times but still keep getting the message... what do I do about this?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have never seen a nessage like that. Please quote exactly what the message said and if the triangle is always in place or popping once in a while.

katherz9

katherz9

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I used the Windows install CD to repair it and now Im into the computer... all my files are still intact and everything looks great. no other problems here. Thanks for the help. Kathy

Edited by katherz9, 16 March 2007 - 06:10 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Every time I run a program from the desktop or start menu, I am greeted with the little yellow triangle and the balloon reads... "______.exe - corrupt file. The file or directory C: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk utility." Also when I go to use disk defragment it won't run because it says chkdsk is scheduled to run on startup but the problem is that every time I restart the computer chkdsk runs. Its a very long and annoying process. How do I stop it from being scheduled and how do I get rid of this corrupt directory problem. I doubt chkdsk is doing the trick otherwise I imagine it would stop running itself.