Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Raid setup

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I Have two 250gb Hd's and got a third one spare, two are identical in every way, the third drive is newer.

Based on the system below, is there a way to set up the two identical drives into a raid, i have never delt with RAID but i want teh machine to load things faster etc, and also have a backup of all the data!

thanks

glen

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
With two drives you can use mirroring. Everything written to one drive is also written to the other. You will only have 250GB of storage though. I don't remember what the performance implications are. It has to be written twice but I think read performance will be the same as a non-mirrored disk.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
I have three 250gb drives, i want two in Raid and one normal! i have fur SATA ports on my MoBo, two red and two black, is this anything to do with Raid?

thanks!

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
1. The different colored SATA ports on the MOBO might be have controller chips. What model is the mobo?
2. Sometimes the company website will have pdf manuals available for mobo that explain the components on the board.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
unfortunaly, all the information i have is in my signature,

does that help? i will open the case again, but i'm not sure there was much info on the board itself either!

i have never dealt with RAID and am very interested in speeding loading times and backup all my data!

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
1.) The MOBO should have a manufacturer's symbol on it somewhere; it might be difficult to find though.
a. Is this a pre-bought computer (versus one you put togethre yourself)? If so, can you get the model # of the computre?
b. what color is the mobo itself? maybe someone will recognize it by the color scheme.
c. Can you provide the approximate year the computer was made?
d. Can you post a picture of the mobo and your computer? (use imageshack, picasaweb, photobucket etc.- sites that will host your pictures on the web; I'm assuming you have some form of broadband internet access.)

Those leads may be ways of tracking down the model of the MOBO.

2.) Is anything printed around your sata ports on the MOBO? You may need magnification.Each of my computers have labelling on the mobo around the different ports and pin connections. For example, my MOBO has 4 sata ports;2 are orange, 2 are purple. Each port has 2 "outlets" (for lack of a better term). If I plug my sata cable into the left orange plug, right side outlet, the bios reads the drive as primary 1. If I move the cable to the left orange port, left side outlet, bios registers the drive as slave 1, etc. etc. with the numbers moving from 1-4. The other difference is (using my mobo as an example) that each color sata port is controlled by a different chipset. On the mobo to the right or left of each SATA port is tiny writing identifying port numbers 1-4. Maybe yours has this.

3.) do a search in the forums for "raid"- there are some really good posts that offer more detailed information about setting up raid. With 2 drives you can mirror in Raid 0. One drive will copy onto the other so you will have all of your info backed up, but will sacrifice the capacity of the 2nd drive. Instead of 500GB (250+250) you will only have 250GB available in the raid array. Your 3rd disk will still be available as normal.

With 3 disks, you can do other raid set ups, but that's up to you whether or not you wish to do that based on whether you place higher value on sheer speed or reliability.