Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a harddisk

• Please log in to reply

Barbara81

Barbara81

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi all :blink:

I've been using my computer for about 3 years now, and I bought it second hand. (so I guess it's 4-5 yrs old)
Problem is, I only have a 10 GB HD and these 'low space-reminders' keep popping up. It's working *terribly* slow, too.
I'm thinking about buying a 2nd harddisk to create some extra space.

My question is, do you think it's worthwile upgrading, or would I be better off buying a new one? Maybe the space-issue isn't the only problem?? And if I would choose to upgrade, would you recommend internal/external HD?

Here are the specs:
- Compaq Deskpro EN
- Win XP Pro
- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~730 Mhz
- BIOS Version/Date Compaq 686P2 v3.14, 9/13/2002
- Total Physical Memory 256.50 MB

Thanks ever so much for any advice you might wanna share! :whistling:

x Barbara

Edited by Barbara81, 15 March 2007 - 08:25 AM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
An external hard disk has some big advantages. One is that you can turn it off and even completely disconnect it from the power outlet and your computer in the event of a thunderstorm to protect the data in it. And you can keep it turned off when you aren't transfering files from or to it to also protect the data. Also it can be used with other computers. One thing is if you are dealing with large files you will need a USB2.0 port on your machine to transfer at any resonable rate. If you don't have one on it you can add a PCI card for a nominal price.

As old as your machine and the hard drive is you might want to run diagnostics on the hard drive, you can get them from Compaq or the drive maker's site. Many drives of that age are deteriorating.

Something you can also do with a newer hard drive from a major maker is to do a drive to drive copy which will put your whole operating system and all it's contents on the new drive. Newer drives are faster than old ones.

Newer machines will be three to five times faster than your, even faster for the very top of the line machines.