Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st Post - Dual Core and DDR2 Memory Question

• Please log in to reply

Chicago Wine Geek

Chicago Wine Geek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I everyone, thanks for reading this.

I'm about to get a new system - Dell XPS410. I want configure this for speed just because I want to. Here are my two questions for all you guys that know much more than I do.. I'm not running any high intensity apps and am not a gamer, just want a system that I won't need to upgrade in 3 weeks....

1.) Is there a noticable speed improvement by going with the Intel E6600 processor with 4MB L2 Cache instead of sticking with a E6400 with 2MB?

2.) The RAM on this box is dual channel DDR2 at 667MHz. I've seen all kinds of new speedy RAM designed for high end gaming that runs faster. Is it correct to assume that faster RAM won't make a difference based on this system? Only thing I could find was the article on madshrimps that concluded it didn't really matter unless you are overclocking (which I'm not)

And the big one....(I am not a gamer) Vista or XP?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chicago Wine Geek, 15 March 2007 - 10:25 AM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You won't need to upgrade soon on practically any new computer. Vista is preference really, currently I prefer Windows XP as it's much faster and uses less resources, if you like the look of Vista then by all means get it, it will run perfectly on that system. There is a noticable speed improvement of the E6600 over the E6400 too, btw. But you do have to realise you aren't using high intense apps meaning you will never use it to its full potential, so if you are on budget you may as well get the E6400.