Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Power Point File

• Please log in to reply

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi all,
Somehow, I managed to change the format of a file, save over it, or delete it but it has gone. Its not in the recycle bin, I have done a search on part of the file title and its not there anymore. and guess who didnt have a back-up........

It was a flyer I designed in powerPoint. Is there any way I can restore all files as they were when I switched the laptop on this morning? ? ? - I will happily lose the days work than have to do this flyer again.

Thanks,

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi TheWern. I don't think you'll be able to recover this file.

First, PowerPoint has an autosave feature, but once you actually save the file from inside PP and exit the program, the autosave backup is deleted (according to a MS PP MVP http://groups.google...1ba40b6e4dd566).

Second, Windows XP's System Recovery does not recover user files. You would have had to take an actual backup (with Windows Backup or some other backup software) at some point before you overwrote/deleted your file to be able to recover it from the backup.

However, with these two stated, it wouldn't hurt just to browse your Temp folders to see if perhaps something's there. There's a Temp folder in C:\Windows, and possibly at C:\ as well. Also check in My Documents (PowerPoint's default save location for regular files and autosaves), just in case.

Good Luck!