Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}

• Please log in to reply

Confide

Confide

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone,

I have Windows XP Home Edition on my Dell desktop and had my computer on overnight as I usually do, but when I turned on the monitor, I got this error...

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135.
The system has been shut down.

I checked this topic http://www.geekstogo...s...=19049&st=0 and tried the fix for the patches KB893066, KB890923, KB890859 and KB893086, but I'm still getting the same error.

I'm figuring that since I've had those patches forever, that they most likely won't be the cause of the problem and that there are new patches that might be the culprit.

Also, I've tried Booting With Last Known Good Configuration and got the same results.

Thank you very much for your attention. Please help!

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello Confide and Welcome to Geeks To Go!

Here have a look at this link here

Confide

Confide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your response and the welcome. :whistling: Wish I were here under different circumstances, though. Hehe.

I went to that link and I'm a little embarrassed to say, but there's a step that says...

To troubleshoot this problem, you must determine which of these processes failed and why.

To determine which process failed, register Dr. Watson as the default system debugger (if it is not already the default debugger). Dr. Watson for Windows NT logs diagnostic information about process failures to a log file (Drwtsn32.log). Also, you can configure this program to produce memory dump files of failed processes that you can analyze in a debugger to determine why a process fails.

To set up Dr. Watson to trap user-mode program errors, follow these steps: 1. At a command prompt, type System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I, and then press ENTER.

This command configures Dr. Watson as the default system debugger.
2. At a command prompt, type System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe, and then select the following options:
Append to existing log file
Create crash dump
Visual Notification

I can't get to a command prompt. I've tried Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and it takes me straight to the same blue screen. Does the Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD have the same functionality as the command prompt, because the "System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I" command isn't working with that tool.

If the Recovery Console doesn't provide the same functionality, is there another way of getting to a command prompt?

Benzooor

Benzooor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Recovery console is essentially a command prompt, yes; however, I'm unsure if running Dr. Watson from it would work or not.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try using your windows XP CD, and running it from the recovery console.

Confide

Confide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks guys for all your responses. It really does mean a lot to me.

I tried running it from the Recovery Console and it kept giving me the error "The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands."

I tried...

C:\> C:\Windows\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I
C:\Windows\System32> Drwtsn32.exe -I
C:\Windows\System32> Drwtsn32.exe
C:\Windows\System32> Drwatson32.exe

All gave me the same error. It doesn't look like I can run executables from the Recovery Console. Is there another way of getting to a command prompt?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try running this from the recovery console:

chkdsk /f /r

Confide

Confide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried it and it took forever to run, but it finished and said it fixed some errors, but still getting the same blue screen. :whistling:

Anything else I could try?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Gimme a little while for a fix :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
OK What I am reading most are saying do a repair install.

Do you happen to have a XP CD? Usually dell gives restore cd's which is usually the same as a XP CD.

Confide

Confide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah, I have one. It's the one I was using to reach the Recovery Console.

At the risk of sounding dumb, if I perform a repair install, will I lose the data on my hard drive? I have a lot of things there that I'd really, really like to keep if at all possible. Would I just boot up with the CD and do an install like normal?

Thank you so much for trying, Ultimate. Seriously, you guys are great and I wish I'd known of this place sooner.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Make sure the CD is the same (Home or Pro) and an OEM version. It will need to be at the same level or higher as your install (SP1, SP1a or SP2). You shouldn't lose any data or programs. You will need to reinstall updates that are newer than what's on the CD.

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah thats what I was gonna say too but I lost track of topics.. hectic weekend so far.

Confide

Confide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I ran a repair install for Windows XP and kept my fingers crossed.

Everything went through fine and my system is back up and running with everything still intact. Reinstalled all the service packs and security updates and is now back to normal.

I know I've said it a lot, but thanks for everything, guys. Was in a really bad spot and thought everything might be gone for good. It's increasingly difficult (if not impossible) to find great, reliable help that doesn't require a subscription or ridiculous per-minute charge. Will be highly recommending you all for sure.

Thanks again!

Edited by Confide, 18 March 2007 - 07:14 AM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Glad you got it fixed :whistling: