Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Active-x error message. (Windows system problem?)

• Please log in to reply

active-x

active-x

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there.

I am new to the forum and have a bit of an SOS here. I was running serveral programs when i received an updated file, i clicked save without thinking about it. Then my system later the same day, detected and deleted a virus.

To make sure all the files were removed i did a search for *exe files for that day and deleted them including a file called USER-FILe (Which i now think may have been a possible windows file.) Shortly after this explore failed to open and the system froze.

Upon restart my windows start button does not move. I can not access my documents folder by clicking on the desk top, and i get your current security settings prevent you from running active-x controls on this page. As a result some programs will not display correctly. (When i try to adj my secuity settings on explorer i get this error message explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL.

Some of my normal desktop icons are gone. Explorer will not let me go to any site with a search (good thing navigator does.) I can not click on the remaining desktops with any ssuccess, and the ones that are left have gone back to old versions of themselves. (EG the msn butterly is the very old one from several years ago, and the internet explorer is the old dark blue instead of the modern light blue.

I was not sure if it was a virus, spyware or windows error, but from what i am reading it could be a windows error, or my security system might have kicked into over drive.

Does anyone have any idea of how to go about getting things back to normal?

Thanks,

Active-X

Advertisements

ourwilly

ourwilly

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 768 posts
Hi active-x

If you can use "system restore"

click on start / run then type in msconfig then ok then launch system restore and restore your PC to an earlier time, update your Anti-virus then run a scan again this time "without" deleting any exe files yourself.

ourwilly

ourwilly

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 768 posts
Sorry activex if your start button is not working at all tell me what happens when you press the "windows" key between the Ctrl and Alt button
if this does n't work then
Click Here hope this helps

ourwilly

ourwilly

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 768 posts

Sorry activex if your start button is not working at all tell me what happens when you press the "windows" key between the Ctrl and Alt button

If nothing happens follow this path double click on
My Computer / Local Drive / Windows / System / Restore  once open select the RSTRUI folder this should open up sytem restore

if this does n't work then
Click Here hope this helps

View Post

active-x

active-x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there ourwilly.

My stystem restore does not work. I have tried that originally and it just comes up as a blank page. Also i can only have access to the internet and most funcitons with netscape navigator. Explorer will not even let me do google searches.

If i hit the windows icon and the letter E i have discovered it gives me a directory of my programs and i can start most of them from there. I think i will have to get a bootable disk
with a copy of my windows operating system and try to do a reinstall that way. The only thing is the disk with my operating system comes as a system restore disk (the operating system portion did not come on a seperate disk.)

I am hoping if i do that is will work. I have downloaded programs that fix missing portions of missing files for windows and it does not seem to have fix the problem. I have also recovered deleted files to see if this was the problem, but i could not find any one specific file that stands out. (However i am not an expert.)

I am wonderinging if it could be a missing .dll file of some sort since that's the windows error i recieve some times. Oh well my search for a solution continues. However i do appriciate your response.

Thanks.

Active-X

ourwilly

ourwilly

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 768 posts
Hi active-x

Sorry to not understand you but it sounds like your computer came with an Emergency Disk on a "Floppy" with an OEM version of windows pre-installed on your PC
if so placing this "Emergency disk" in your floppy drive and turning your pc on should re-install windows back to the state when it left the factory

Or was it a full or OEM version on "CD" ?

Please let me know if you can create a "Startup disk" by hitting the window key going to
settings / control panel / Add & Remove Programs and selecting the startup tab

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Active, before you try the above

With the limited use that you have search for a folder (typically called OPTIONS)

Look in the root directory of C Drive
and look in C;\windows\options

See if they are present.

If so, within that folder, you will find a setup.exe...double click that and Windows will reinstall those files you removed.

active-x

active-x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi gerryf

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I was a bit under the weather. I however took your advise located the file and re-installed windows. That seems to have done the trick.

It did tell me before it re-installed windows that something was wrong with the registry and that windows might not run properly, but i will go and see if that's going to be the case.

If there is something that needs to be fixed in the registry, do you have any other suggestions for that? Eg. Is there a way to re-install the registry from scratch so that any missing files etc are re-installed?

Either way i am greateful for the help and the responses from the members of the commuminty.

Thanks for answering my SOS and helping me fix my computer problems.

Active-X

kath78

kath78

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just experienced the exact same problem. An error message displaying somehting user.exe and now the desktop as I new it is gone. All my icons are gone too. I cannot do anything at all, except from in safe mode.
I figured out that the problem could be ZoneAlarm, and therefore I removed it according to forum.zonelabs... And all the certificates from IE is gone... But as I have no network/Internet I'm not able to add certificates again.
But nothing seems to work at all...

So I'm thinking of putting my master hdd into another computer as a slave, and thereby retrieve all my files... That's the only solution I can think of!
If anyone could help me with this activeX problem, plz! :tazz: Thank u ;)

kath78

kath78

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Maybe I have to explain a bit more...
I was just surfing the internet when all of a sudden a blue screen appeared. Internet explorer shut down, and I tried to restart it. It restarted just fine, but when i tried to access a site on the Internet the blue screen came up again. Now when i returned back to windows, some different error messages came up, including the one wiht ... something user.exe error. In addition, "validation failed in vsinit.dll". The desktop disappered, and 'my profile' was gone if you know what i mean... Nothing worked so I just pressed ctrl-alt-del to restart hoping that everyting would be ok again.
Now nothing works in the ordinary modus. I have followed the description from zonelabs: http://forum.zonelab...essage.id=28832
But it doesn't fix the probem...
I cannot complete all of the description from zonelabs (the certificate part) because NOTHING works in the ordianary mode, and in safe mode I cannot access the CD-rom's... :tazz:

Anyways, I have also tried to return to the last Ok version of Internet Explorer, but that doesn't fix the problem either....
As i mentioned above, i don't know what to do anymore, so i may have to install XP in order to fix the problem (after retrieving my files of course)...
As mentioned, I receive the activeX comment when I e.g. try to open "my computer". I can see in the stausbar that it contains 13 objects, but I cannot see the icons! ;)

Plz help me anyone...
*sad girl*

active-x

active-x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi kath78

I feel your pain. I am just wondering if you had any kind of windows update before this happened?

I still get a dll error at times even after installing windows again. My desktop is fixed, but I am not sure everything is still a hundread percent.

The thing that did the trip for me was getting my windows installed. If you follow what gerryf recommended that might also work for you.

The recommendation was to go to C:/windows/options then look for a file called setup.exe and this should reinstall windows without loss of info.

(I was able to get there by using the windows icon and the letter E together they bring up a my computer menu)

I hope this works for you like it did for me. If not I am sure someone else in the community with more experience with have another idea or solution.

All the best.

Active-X

active-x

active-x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Kath78

You can also try doing some forum searches there seems to be a lot of other members with the same error messages or blue screen errors.

I found this post by doing a quick search.

http://www.geekstogo...hl=KERNEL32.DLL

Let me know if any of this helps.

Active-X

kath78

kath78

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank u active-x, but I found another forum that helped me :tazz: The solution was to start in safe mode and then by using the ms-dos promt, typing scanreg /fix
Then when i restarted, everything was ok.... I don't know what caused it, but now I'm a happy girl again ;)
But thanks again for replying!

active-x

active-x

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:tazz: Hey kath78.

I am just glad to hear it all worked itself out for you.
Also the solution that you found may also help someone
else who might be reading this post, because there
seem to be a lot of .dll errors popping up.

Till next time.

Active-X