Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

strange video issue

• Please log in to reply

stressed76

stressed76

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey there crew, in a little bit of a pinch here

I have a friend that has a laptop (bought last year or mabey 2 years ago)
Anyways, he has a Samsung 50' plasma TV and the weirdest thing is happening
he does not see the video on his plasma ( the plasma is hooked up to the laptop via VGA cable)
-we can see video in normal and in full screen mode on his computer, however in windows media player (and 3 other media players) on the plasma, nothing shows up, just a black screen where the video should be
-I thought that it was something to do with the online media player because he states that when he goes to a video streaming site this issue came about
-however I started to get a little suspicious when I visited other sites as well as tried to view a bought DVD on the TV and the issue persisted
-I also tried another user account and the same thing happened
-he said that this happened about a month ago
-I'm thinking that he is missing some kind of codec or something but I'm not too sure if he is
-I tried to play the movie with VLC and same thing...
-and the funny thing is....on the Plasma, everything but the video issue is mirrored excatly on the screen on his computer
-the only website that I can see video on is youtube.
-any suggestions?

Edited by stressed76, 15 March 2007 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
so you have a monitor and plasma hooked up? and by what you said you have it setup where its a clone image from the monitor to the plasma screen? or do you have the plasma setup as single and using it as primary display?

stressed76

stressed76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have the screen (laptop) mirroring the image on the plasma via a VGA cable hooked to the back of the laptop.

-And on a new note....it'll work say....if I'm on Thatvideosite.com open the video and then Ctrl+N into a new window the video shows up on the new window and in the original window with the original link, the video is not shown (black) however the audio is playing through

weird

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
when you enable the vga (via Fn+whatever button) press it again so the laptops display is turned off and only the plasma is displayed and try it.

stressed76

stressed76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
alrighty.....so I have the display only on the plasma and it works, however the system performance is at 100% and the video is extremely choppy......what could this be?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
It could be that your 2yr old laptop graphics card doesn't want to dish out the framerate necessary for a good video quality on a 50" plasma!