Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not seeing all programs from start menu

• Please log in to reply

tomf

tomf

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Whenever I go to start --> All Programs I do not see all of the programs that are installed. If I change the advanced options to scroll programs or switch to the classic view the programs now show. Also there are entries there which have been uninstalled but still remain in the All Programs list. I am running Windows XP SP2.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi tomf!

The reason you can't see all the programs listed is because you are using PERSONALIZED MENU'S. This setting is set to ON by default in Windows XP. To disable Personalized Menus, do the following:

Please download the file located HERE to somewhere on your computer where you will remember its location. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. (Depending on the security software installed on your computer, you may receive a warning when attemping to run this type of file. Click YES to any warnings so that the file will be able to run.). Once it is done, a small window will appear stating that Personalized Menus have been disabled. Now go to START-->ALL PROGRAMS and you should be able to see everything you have installed in the list.

Fenor

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks I will give that a try. Is there a way to edit the All Programs display to remove entries whose software has been deleted?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you are moused over ALL PROGRAMS, just right-click and choose EXPLORE. A window will appear listing all the programs that show up in the All Programs list. Just delete the folders you want. Just remember to make sure they they don't appear in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel before deleting the folder!.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 March 2007 - 04:22 PM.

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks again, that should take care of my problems.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
So they both worked?

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Removing the unneeded entries worked just great. Will do the download and run the program later. Do you want feedback when completed?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you could please, so that I know and other people that read this thread know that it solved the problem. :whistling:

Fenor

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I apologize, of course you want feedback. That was a stupid question on my part. I downloaded the program, ran it, got the message that personalized menus was turned off, logged off and on, and did Start --> All Programs. I still do not see all of the programs. I did not reboot. Today I added a new printer and that is where I noticed the problem. While in normal XP mode if I check on the Scroll programs or switching to Classic mode I see the programs I added today. But without doing this I do not see these programs in normal XP mode.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I do not understand what you are trying to say. Please post a screenshot for better clarification.

Fenor

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Right click the STart button then click Properties. On the Start Menu tab click the Customize button for your menu setup.

XP Start Menu uncheck Scroll Programs then click OK, Apply, OK.

Classic Start Menu uncheck Scroll Programs & Use Personalized Menus then click OK, Apply, OK.

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
There should be an entry for Lexmark 4300 but it is not there. I did a printscrn but can't get it to paste the way I want it here. Don't wish to post my whole "All Programs" screen on the Internet. It appears that when I do the "All Programs" my entire screen is full and there is no room to show the additions. My screen is set to 800 X 600 pixels. Do I need to change that to see more info?

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Right click the STart button then click Properties. On the Start Menu tab click the Customize button for your menu setup.

XP Start Menu uncheck Scroll Programs then click OK, Apply, OK.

Classic Start Menu uncheck Scroll Programs & Use Personalized Menus then click OK, Apply, OK.

That is the way they are set.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It could very well be possible that the resolution is set too low and you have alot of programs installed and that is why they are not knowing up. Trying jacking up the resolution to 1024x768 and see what things look like.

Fenor

tomf

tomf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Fenor,

The resolution was the problem. When I changed it to 1024 X 768 all of the programs now show. Thanks for your help.