Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dlink - remote access

• Please log in to reply

wardsha

wardsha

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am not sure what i am doing. I am not computer smart. I only know what i have to. So please be patient. I may give too much info..I am just hoping it is enough.

I use to have an internet connection with Aliant that there modem was wireless..so my daughter could have her computer and I could have my laptop. I switched providers because it was half the price. With this service provider I have to use a router. I have a dlink wbr1310. I have it hooked up fine I can access the internet. BUT I NEED DESPERATLEY TO LOG ON TO WORK. We use remote desktop. Everyone at work but me can log on fine. This only happened after I switched internet providers. I have tried to configure my dlink...but I am clueless and it is all over my head. I have just been following pictures and forums...for three weeks I have not been able to log on.

I use Windows XP professional. I run windows firewall. (I have that firewall set up to allow port 3389 under the exceptions tab). I did try logging on without having the firewall enabled.

I have played around with the setting under the advanced tab when i log onto the router.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let me know if anything else is needed to help me out. I appreciate any help I can get. I am a single mother with two kids and prefer to not work overtime at work instead to be home with them and do any extra help when the kids go down for the night.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
What error do you get? Did you also allow port 80?

You'll have to make changes to Windows firewall AND the router.

http://www.microsoft...up_03may16.mspx

Edited by 98springer, 15 March 2007 - 08:55 PM.

wardsha

wardsha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I get the pop up box

Remote Desktop Disconnected
The client could not connect to the remote computer
Remote connection might not be enabled or the computer might be busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connections.

Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occure, contact your administrator.

I did not have it to allow port 80 on windows firewall or on the router. I do now...still not working. Like I explained in my post and with the pictures I did go into the router and set it up. I am on the internet I just can't log onto remote desktop. Windows firewall is not the problem because I disabled it for now.

When I click remote desktop it doesn't even think...the pop up box is immediate. So I know there is stoping it from my computer but I just can't pin point the exact issue. I have been reading everythig from windows.com...dlink router...windows firewall....nothing i have found has helped.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Have you talked with IT at your job? I wonder if the block is on that end. With a new ISP, you'll have a new IP address being presented at the Host end and it may not be trusted.

wardsha

wardsha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll check that out. But I never had to do anything on my end before...I just logged in.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
most internet providers that include a modem changes your external ip. before when you were on your old service without router, when you surfed the net your pc's ip was used. with the router you are on another ip from your service provider. check link below, it will tell you your ip
http://www.findmyip.com/
you will need to change the config on your office computer to allow that ip user. otherwise its still setup to accept your other ip

wardsha

wardsha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I will see if that will help. Thank you. Hopefull that is all it is. I never had a problem before with having to let work no my ip address. For three years I just signed in and it worked. I had rogers before then switched to aliant....then because of the price I just switched back. The only thing different between the first time I was with rogers is the different make in routers. I had a us robotics before and now its a dlink.

I have a few more questions.

I contacted Dlink and to be honest I dont' think there expertise is any better then mine . This is the third time I sat on the phone with them to have no questions answered. They tell me I need the ip address for the computer I am logging into. I use the name to log into work. They are telling me I have to set up the port to allow that IP. Would that be correct. That still doesnt make sense to me because it's like my computer wont let me out. The pop up box is immediatly. Any other time problems had to do with my work computer (server down etc...) it would at least think or try. I am not sure if what I am typing makes sense. I dont' know the correct terms. Thanks for any help.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Are you trying to connect to the IP address or are you typing in a computer name?
If IP, what's the first half of the address? DON'T post the whole IP here. Just xxx.xxx..
Can you connect to yourself? I mean can you remote desktop from your home computer to your home computer?
Can you ping the remote computer?

wardsha

wardsha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am trying to connect through remote desktop by computer name. The work computer does not have a static ip.

I am not sure if this is what you meant to tell me. But I typed my ip in remote desktop and instandly got the same pop up. I am not sure what ping the remote computer means.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
"I am trying to connect through remote desktop by computer name. The work computer does not have a static ip. "
Do you use the Internet to connect?
Is the computer name that you type in "something DOT something DOT com"?

The "No static ip" sounds strange for a server.

Did you talk to your IT folks yet?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Any news?

wardsha

wardsha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My office is a small office only me an my boss...no there is no static ip...we use the computer name to log on. I am taking my computer to a professional to see what is wrong. I have tried everything I can possibly do. Nothing has worked. I will post the issue when I know the answer so if anyone else has this problem maybe it can help them.