Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not boot after updates.

• Please log in to reply

sine

sine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Last night I turned my computer off and I got that dialog box, would you like to install the 3 updates before you shut down. So I push OK. Later on I start my computer up and it won't even boot to the windows menu. Can't boot in safe mode, debug mode, or any mode for that matter.

If I push start in safe mode it will start listing the values that usually print off then it cuts halfway through the list and just restarts.

I have the system disk in there and it isn't recognizing it, it's still trying to boot from the hard drive and brings me to the black screen.
I cannot boot to bios or do anything any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Edited by sine, 15 March 2007 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
If you cannot boot into the bios then I would start looking at a motherboard problem.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try opening up the case, there should be a little battery on the motherboard. Remove it for one hour or so and then put it back in. Try booting up

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Allright well I started it up without the hard drive I can spam F2 and nothing will happen (pretty sure that's the button for BIOS)

When I pull the hard drive the screen does all the peripheral checks then it posts
Verifying DMI pool data
Boot from CD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I just went to Windows Update and checked for the downloads. I found the following and suspect the first one on the list is causing the problem. You are not the only one reporting this issue. This is one reason why I don't allow automatic updates to install until after a week has passed and I see no complaints.

Update for Windows XP (KB929338)
Typical download size: 725 KB , less than 1 minute
This is a reliability update. Install this update to improve the stability of computers running Windows XP. This update prevents some Stop 0x1a or Stop 0x0a errors. After you install this item, you will have to restart your computer.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2007 (KB890830)

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

Edited by Whiskeyman, 15 March 2007 - 07:58 PM.

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
So what do you suggest for me :whistling:

I called some tech support and they told me I had to replace my entire hard drive because I can't even format the darn thing.

Edited by sine, 15 March 2007 - 07:51 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
If you can access the Bios with the hard drive removed place the floppy drive as first boot device, CD or DVD drive second and hard drive third. Shutdown the PC then put the hard drive back in. Start the PC up and put in the XP CD to see if you can do a repair install. If that fails take the CD out and put in the KillDisk floppy and reboot. This will do a low level format of the drive. If KillDisk doesn't recognize the drive, either the drive is gone or the IDE controller or cable is bad.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 15 March 2007 - 07:57 PM.

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The keypress is f2 to access BIOS right?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
If you cannot write anything to it.. then the drive IS indeed dead.

Did you backup all your documents?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

The keypress is f2 to access BIOS right?

It depends on the computer. What make and model is it?

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok so I got BIOS to work only after I had removed the hard drive and looked in the user manual. The hard drive won't respond to anything, it thinks it's all set to go but when it tries to load up the system it just farts out. I'm guessing that it's just the hard drive that got blown.

It's a shame because it was an expensive WD raptor :whistling:

Edited by sine, 16 March 2007 - 11:53 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ouch...

Did you have a warranty on the drive?

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Negative, it was an OEM from newegg. It's a shame, but I'm glad I don't have to shell out for a new mobo as well. Thanks for your help in my situation I really appreciate your expertise.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I really doubt that the HD is gone following windows update. Looks like an extraordinary coincidence. Looks to me like a damaged MBR or something of this nature. Pull it out, install as a slave on another computer and run checkdisk: my computer > right click the damaged drive > properties > tools > check now > check both boxes > start. wait for the process to end.

If this doesn't help reformat the disk while on the other computer. Please report the results.