Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI x1950x Pro Crashing to Black - Several problems

• Please log in to reply

aim2009

aim2009

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a new system (built by CyberPower) with the following specs
ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI
Connect3D ATI x1950 Pro 256 MB
500w PSU
Windows XP Pro SP2

(I think that's the important basic stuff) Right out of the box, I ran Benchmark3D06 - this should run a basic test of the graphics system, and should show off my new graphics. After about 20 seconds the screen hung. I wasn't initially alarmed since the system was just out of the box and I figured drivers might need to be updated/installed. I ran DXdiag and the screen crashed to black under the "DirectDraw" test in the display tab. The 3D Draw test ran fine. I updated to the most recent drivers 7.2 from 2/21/2007 ATI and I was able to run both DXdiag tests successfully. I ran Benchmark again, and again, the test ran for about 20 seconds, the frame rate was very slow - between 10-20 fps and hung again after 20 seconds. When the screen hangs, I have to reboot the system, it responds to nothing. Under other drivers I had crashes to black test the card in other games. Nothing runs more than a few minutes before crashing to black - no error message - no warning except sometimes a slight freeze of the screen and a 'click' from inside the tower. I dont' think it's getting too hot. Temps average 45c and have not been over 50c, and I haven't been able to work it enough to really get it overheated (only had it for 4 days)

I spoke with ATI, they said to update the nVidia chipset drivers so I did this. I uninstalled the NVidia drivers from the control panel, rebooted, installed the new nvidia chipset drivers (that I found here: http://www.nvidia.co...nxp32_8.43.html ) (these are the ones for my system) There was an option to install something for RAID with this update, I chose 'no' because I do not run a RAID. I then looked in the control panel, did not see the ATI drivers listed. I used Driver Cleaner to remove any trace of the ATI drivers, I rebooted, I installed the most recent ATI drivers that had partially worked earlier today, and then I ran 3DBenchmark again. I crashed to black immediately after starting the test. I reset the system, I then got an error that Windows was not shut down properly. I chose to restart Windows normally, but it crashed again before windows fully loaded (screen goes black, monitor goes on standby) (monitor is a 20" flat panel crt) (uses an adapter to go into video card DVI) I reset again, it booted, I chose "last good configuration" and here I am.

I'm scared out of my wits about this chipset driver and wonder if I should uninstall it as things seem to be worse now (I suppose I can reinstall the chips set with the disk that came with the computer?) OR I can I do a Windows System Restore and go back to the beginning - in order to get back to the original chipset drivers?

The other strange thing is that in the device manager it lists a secondary ATI x1950 card. Is that part of the problem? Or a harmless part of all this?

Also in Device Manager there is an "unknown device" I get a message that there is new hardware every time I boot up the system, but it doesn't know what it is, and I am forced to hit cancel. Is this causing a conflict? I have screen shots of my device manager if that helps
I appreciate any help you can give.

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
when you reboot and get the "new hardware found" setup for the "unkown device" let it continue and see if it can find a driver. then see what it installs.