Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm running Windows XP SP2, I keep my computer up-to-date with MS auto update and I run programs to try and take care of most spyware/malware. The strange thing that is happening is that Windows Update seems to be downloading and installing the same update over and over again, once every day or so. I check the "updates" log and this update has been run around a dozen times in the last couple weeks. I ran a Windows Update manually, and it installed it. I then ran Windows Update again, and it said the same Update needed to be installed right after I had just done so.

It's a security uptate: "Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)."

Is this activity normal? And if not, what should I do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Elven

Advertisements

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I had this issue once, and I fixed it by uninstalling the offending update, then letting Automatic Updates retrieve it and reinstall it for me.

Go into Control Panel>>Add/Remove Programs, and tick the "Show Updates" box on the top. Then find the update by it's KB number and uninstall it.

Try doing that, but be sure not to reinstall manually. Just change the time that Auto Update runs to about 5 minutes from when you uninstall it. It seems that the Automatic Updates software doesn't communicate with the manual installation very well, and it can cause glitches from time to time.

Post back if that works/doesn't work!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen this problem once. Every time I turned the computer off it showed that updates were waiting for installation and that the computer will shut itself after installation. The same update turned over and over again. What I did, eventually was to uninstall the update in add/remove programs. As far as I remember I had an option, during removal, not to enable download of this update again. I did this happily and ended the problem having 70 odd updates instead of seventy odd plus one.

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I tried the uninstall of KB927779 and the "auto-update" just reinstalled it. So after it reinstalled, the next time it prompted to install it again I did "custom install." I deselected KB92779 from the installaion list (unchecked it, it was actually the only update there) and hit "close." I then gave me the option of not promting for that update in the future, and I said "yes." That probably fix the problem, I haven't seen it pop-up since. Thanks for your input guys, you helped figure this one out.

Elven

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thankks for letting us know and for refreshing my memory about the procedure.