Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

To many processes running

• Please log in to reply

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hey guys,

I have the file SVCHOST.EXE running 8 times in my processes when i look at my Windows task manager --> Processes tab. I dont know why its running 8 times and its using alot of my ram i think. How can i know if they are not needed and how do i know how to get rid of the ones that are not needed? Im running Windows xp service pack 2.

Here is a screen shot of my processes there is also alot of other junk in there that im not sure i need. Personally i think its wasting alot of memory.

http://s90.photobuck...t=processes.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• processes.JPG

Advertisements

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
To be honest 47 processes is not alot and SvcHost can run numerous times, it is a process which controls service running on the machine, it make for easy debugging and things.

please see THIS LINK

Is there any reason you want to stop any of the processes? slow computer etc!

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
well i just wasnt sure if i needed all of them. And yes the pc does slow down sometimes

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your system idle is 99%....so don't worry about it....SvcHost are wrappers ...small programs that run other programs...

Travis Longley

Travis Longley

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
it is ok. I have svchost 17 times and 203 processes. Even though it is not slow at all. And i have 4gb of ram but that many is nothing.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
cool thanks alot guys

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Geeze what did you to to your machine to have 203 processes! I've never heard of a count that high.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think it's a good practice to check, once in a while, your list of programs in add/remove programs and remove those that you do not need.

Equally important is to check if you need so many programs to load up on startup. This takes a lot of memory space and slows startup. Click start > run > msconfig > startup. Uncheck all these program that you do not need to run in the background. Consider it carefully and you will find that most can be loaded manually when needed. Uncheck those that you do not need, apply > ok > reboot. Upon first reboot you will get a message. Just check the box and ok.

download ccleaner from here . Run the cleaner and "issues" few times until nothing is left to be removed. Backup registry changes when prompted to do so.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
You can download Process Explorer to see what programs are associated with your svchost entries.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Stop unneeded services running. Change from automatic to manual some services.

http://shayari.sr-ul...r-tutorial.html

Travis Longley

Travis Longley

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have that at max. But i do a ton of gaming, Making videos and have servers running. But then It is not slow.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you are happy with the computer as it is then don't worry about the processes in task manager.