Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AGP card goes PCI...

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
A friend of mine is having a problem which I'm not able to solve:
He has a ASUS MoBo which only supports AGP, no PCI-express.

He bought a new GeForce 6600GT AGP card (Point of View) and here it comes...the Nvidia Control Panel says it's a PCI card.
I just can't seem te figure out what is wrong; his old card was AGP too (Geforce 4200) and he installed the lastest Nvidia drivers.

I've went trough his Bios settings and can't find anything related to this problem, in short I'm stumped.

Anyone a idea what could be wrong and how to fix this?

You could say if it works, who cares if it says PCI, well it doesn't work, games do run but haven't improved over the old 4200, screens stutter in most games.

Hope someone can help.
TIA
Webslinger

His specs:
Asus MoBo (sorry, don't know the exact type at the time I'm writing this)
Athlon XP 2000+
1024 MB DDR 333
HD 100+ Gigs.

Edited by Webslinger, 16 March 2007 - 03:35 AM.

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
did you uninstall the drivers for the old agp? have ytou tried updating your current drivers?

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thnx for the reply.
We solved the problem by installing a newer version of the VIA Hyperion driver.
But now his system is very unstable and keeps crashing, the store which sold him the new graphics card says that it's probably his PSU.
I doubt it, but we'll see...

Webslinger

dasaybz

dasaybz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Thnx for the reply.
We solved the problem by installing a newer version of the VIA Hyperion driver.
But now his system is very unstable and keeps crashing, the store which sold him the new graphics card says that it's probably his PSU.
I doubt it, but we'll see...

Webslinger

What I would do is download this http://www.softpedia...fessional.shtml (which is a driver cleaner) and then follow the instructions in the read me file.

Uninstall all the old drivers, reboot into safe mode, run the driver cleaner software, reboot the PC, and install the latest drivers. Many times there are drivers remaining that can cause systems to run pretty unstable.

Hope this helps!!