Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

taskmgr and msconfig killed

• Please log in to reply

stew

stew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Folks,

I've got a PC that looks like it had the nasty W32/sdbot virus, as called by Sophos. The msdirectx.sys file was in the documents and settings folder for the local user and sure enough hpsebc087.exe was riddled throughout the registry

After much manual searching and removing of registry items and creating a dummy msdirectx.sys file, I managed to get rid of both of the above files (I think) the latter doesn't appear in the registry any more. I've got AVG Free up to date and it says it's clean having been run multiple times. NAV got hammered immediatley by this virus so that's useless for now. Ad-Aware and Spybot have been updated and run and both say it's clean. CWShredder also says it's good to go as does MS Antispyware

BUT - I still get a problem that taskmgr, msconfig and hijackthis are killed pretty much immediately when I try to run them in normal mode. I've tried stopping all non-ms services and restarting and I still get the issue but since I've got hardly anything left running I can't work out what's killing them....?

I can't work out why they are still being stopped! I've included my (brief) hijackthis log and was wondering if anyone out there could give me any ideas? I'm at my wits end and very fed up with this one!!

Cheers
Stew

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:12:42 p.m., on 5/04/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe
C:\stew\hijackthis.com

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Packard Bell
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ms Sound Drivers] msdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Ms Sound Drivers] msdrv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Ms Sound Drivers] msdrv.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [Ms Sound Drivers] msdrv.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1110357884359

Advertisements