Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two separate issues

• Please log in to reply

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
1. Should AOL be removed? If so, can it be done without reformatting the drive (it does not show up in Add/Remove)? I have read that some things depend on it like Internet Radio. AOL does not show up in Startup (as Winamp?), but in PcCillin, under Firewall Settings, Network Control, it shows that AOL Messenger is accessing. pcCillin has allowed it to do so, until yesterday, when I denied its access.

2. Upon Startup, MS Office 2000 starts with a Shortcut that has a .Ink extension. Is that file corrupted? When I do a search, no .Ink files are found. msconfig, startup shows it as a .exe file ccCleaner shows it as a .Ink startup. Office works fine. How do I change that to a .Doc extension? (didn't know if this should be in Software Topic, but the question is really about .Ink files)

Thanks.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, notsosmart1.

1. Removing AOL. I have never installed or used AOL, so I'm not going to venture anything. Other techs, please jump in here.

2. Office 2000 .lnk file. The .lnk files are simply shortcuts to other programs, files, etc. You should not attempt to change the extension, as this will cause problems.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi Linda:

how are you?

AOL came pre-installed on laptop (Navigator??). But I noticed that somehow MSN became installed somehow recently. I suspect additional AOL files came with it.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
you might try booting into safe mode an looking around in your windows system files and stuff make sure you go to file options an check "show all files" click ok after the warning an look around for aol stuff...their quite good at hiding stuff..

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Notsosmart 1
You could also try removing the AOL Folders in the Program Files as in AOL 9.0, AOL Companion, AOL Communicator, AOL Toolbar, and so on But be Carfull Not to Touch Anything Else in there This is How you would Usally Uninstall Aol Stuff By Following these Instructions Listed Below
as i have Done this In the Past and it Worked for me I hope this Helps you.

How To uninstall AOL software

You may wish to print these instructions before you begin:

To uninstall AOL

1. Close the AOL software.

2. On the Windows Start menu, click Settings, then Control Panel.
Windows XP/Vista users: Click Start, then click Control Panel.

3. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
Windows Vista users: Click Programs and Features.

4. Select AOL UK or AOL Uninstaller, then click Add/Remove or Change/Remove.
Windows Vista users: Click Uninstall/Change.

5. In the version list, select the version or copy of the AOL software you want to remove, then click Next or Uninstall.

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 17 March 2007 - 05:11 AM.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Cheyenne:

Thanks. I am aware of Add/Remove. There is no AOL program in there. but MSN is in there. I have gone into programs and deleted AOL, AOL 9 and 9 plus, a # of .JPG and .ISP , a AOLart.dll, and an AOLSUPP.CAB. Question is what to do about Registry. When I run ccCleaner or RFAD, there will be many invalid paths that the regcleaner software wants to delete.

Also, AOL browser instant messenger (bet it's in MSN), which I cant find, keep trying to access my firewall???? please advise.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Notsosmart 1
I am Not a Tech and am still Learning to do things for myself So Please Do Not Try This if you Not Confident with Computers because this is Not For Novices or anyone who is Not confident with Computers I Recommend that only advanced users who are familiar with the use of the Registry Editor programs proceed with this method. Please let me Know how you get on But be very Careful as if your are Not confident You can Make matters a lot Worse So should wait for a Tech to Take a look at your Post.

You should also Print out the Instructions Before Starting

Below is a Link
For Removing AOL from the Registry
http://www.pcnineone...owto/noaim.html

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Cheyenne & Linda:

Thank you both. That link, cheyenne, is valuable. I have googled evrywhere for this info. everyone says that the only way to delete AOL is reformat the drive. I intend on selling it -:whistling:.

Now, in Explorer, I don't have one single AOL file described in link in article or "Navigator". I have the strings in the Registry. More importantly 'I CANNOT FIND AOL BROWSER MESSENGER SERVICE". Nor is it mentioned in article. Could it startup directly from Registry? Or could it be in MSN, which is an installed program? BTW, can I delete MSN?

Question: Is "Creating a system restore" the same as "backing up the Registry"? Let's say I back up the Registry to an external storage device. Then delete the AOL strings. And I can't boot up or something goes really wrong. So I Restore the Registry. What happens to all the programs (folders and files on the C: drive (Explorer))? Are they restored from the Registry or will I need to reinstall XP? My guess is that the Registry does not re-install the programs. Therefore what's the use of backing up the Registry if you have to re-install XP (which would create a fresh Registry)?

Too many questions. I'm sorry.

Have a great day!

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Notsosmart 1
Thanks for letting me Know how you getting on First you should not have to reformat the drive Sometimes the Easy Answer is the Simple one Do you have an AOL disc for Installing it if so you could Reinstall it then Uninstall from the ADD/REMOVE which should Remove the whole thing i have been looking about for you to find something Else that might Help and found this so have a read at this and see if this Solves your Problem Here is the Link Good Luck

Backing up the Windows XP Registry

http://www.winxpfix....p-tips-page.htm

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
MSN and AOL are two different animals and not related.

Remove AOL Instant Messenger (Better described as disabling it from starting in Navigator)

Advertisements

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks a Lot

I think I wasn't clear.

AOL came pre-installed

I have never subscribed to AOL

i have no icon or anything that shows AOL Messenger. The only way I found out is because TM PcCillin firewall network control was "allowing" AOL messenger to go through the Firewall. AND AOL messenger is, by default, on PcCillin's defined list on ALL PcCillin software. I disallowed it.

Netscape Navigator is nowhere on my drive unless it goes by a different name.

These are the AOL files in Explorer:
1. AOL 9 & 9 plus folders
2. 6 JPG or GIF AOL files
3. AOL media playback Control.exe
4. AOLusershell.dll
5. AOLsupp.cab
6. AOLobe.ISP

That's what I have on AOL. Based on this, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Now, can MSN be deleted or are there any files that are dependant on it. It can be deleted thry "Add/Remove".

Hope you had a good weekend. Now Cheyenne, Are you from Wyoming, or is that your name?
7. aolsupp.inf

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Have you looked for any Netscape folders?

C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Netscape Communicator\AOL Instant Messenger ™.lnk

C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\USERS\DEFAULT\LAUNCH.AIM

C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Aim

Also look for C:\Windows\aim95

Delete the bolded entries.

Removing MSN Messenger from Windows XP (Updated)

Edited by Whiskeyman, 18 March 2007 - 03:41 PM.

notsosmart1

notsosmart1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Whiskeyman:

I have. None of the files exist. Can a file run from the Registry without having that file on hard drive?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Go to Start> Run and type services.msc then press the <Enter> key. Look for anything AOL in the list and right click on it then click Properties. In the Starup type: box set it to Disabled. Click the Stop button if the service was Started. Click Apply> OK. Do this to all AOL entries.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
aol will also hide itself in another folder...look in C:...programs folder...see if you have one named AOD..open it and you will find aol hiding in there...right click on it and delete it...you do not have to reinstall to get rid of aol...I have also found it in another folder but I can't remember the name right now...do a search including hidden files and folder for aol and look at the folder name if it finds any traces of it...go to those folders and delete any trace of it..then run ccleaner after deleting any instance's of aol you find and delete...you will not have to worry about it after following those steps...

EDIT..you should also create a restore point and name it ...after getting rid of aol...

Edited by happyrck, 19 March 2007 - 09:40 AM.