Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart/shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply

woodswomyn

woodswomyn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've just delt with the issue of random shutdowns. Discovered it was a cooling problem that has now been fixed. (Thanks to all that helped!) But now started experiencing restart and shutdown hangs. I thought to update my BIOS settings, but when I booted the support CD to install the manufacturer's flash utility it didn't recognize my MB. I have an ASUS P5ND2-SLI w/ a pentium D dual core CPU. When I go to restart it will shut down xp but doesn't reboot unless I push the reset button. The same with shutdown, it closes xp and the monitor goes to no signal but I have to push and hold in the button to turn off my tower.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

JaceMan

JaceMan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Since the problem of random shutdowns was just "fixed," what was done to fix it exactly? Did you install a new cpu fan, case fan, or what exactly? If faulty hardware was part of the cooling situation it would be interesting to know exactly what was done to resolve that issue as damaged hardware is one of several known factors for shut down problems. It is possible that the cpu or another component was damaged before your cooling issue was "fixed."

In addition, THIS SITE offers SEVERAL possible causes and their solutions for Shutdown/Reboot woes. If you haven't been there yet, it makes an excellent starting point.

woodswomyn

woodswomyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The cooling problem was with my stock cpu fan. I do alot of graphic and CAD work and it just wasn't big enough to handle it. I installed a Zalman 9500 AT and I now run between 18 and 21c idle and 29 to 33c under load. Before I was running an average 50c idle and 80c or more under load. And the Zalman is super quiet. My case fans drown it out even under load.

As for the shutdown trouble, I was finally able to flash my BIOS. So far I've restarted 5 or 6 times and shut down a couple more and it's worked. Thank you for the response and the link though...always good to have another source to figure things out!