Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wifi

• Please log in to reply

johnscott

johnscott

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
hi
i know nothing about computers so please bare with me.
i have a computer which is on cable broadband conection.
i recently was given a wifi laptop, how do i connect this to the internet. what do i need to set up

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the EASIEST way to get this done would be for you to get a wireless router for your system..
then what you would have is the modem plugged into the wall, the router plugged into the modem, your desktop plugged into the router and the laptop connected wirelessly....

this is USUALLY as simple as plugging all these devices in in the correct order etc... but sometimes depending on your connection requirements...extra setup can be required...you may want to call your ISP and ask them if thre are any special concideration with regards to setting up a router with their system

once you verify this info with your ISP and buy a router (i suggest linksys or netgear) Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

johnscott

johnscott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
thanks
i will try what you say
:whistling: