Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thinking of Buying Two Laptops for my Teenager's

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Forum
I am thinking of Buying Two Laptops for my Teenager Sons and would like some Advice from you good Folks so - The First Question is can they be upgraded
Second Question is How much Memory should it have and what are the Do's and Dont's the Reason Being that my Son's have just chosen there Subjects for third Year in School and will be taking Computing Studies so if they have there own Computers they will not tie up mine Any Advice would be Great. Thank You

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I can safely say having done computer studies in a scottish school they will almost never use yor home computer for work, computer studies sucked in third year you spend all your time doing databases and very basic VB learning about computer technology of the last decade it was a great skive.

Laptops wise for what they will do i they need very little i did my higher computing stuff on an old IBM T21 that had a pentium 3 a 256mb of memory so a pair of old clunkers will do just fine for work. You cant really go wrong i would say if you could pick up an old pair of IBMs they are great because while old clunkers they are nice and small and are solidly built much more than old Dells, if you are going for a new laptop then anything really a nice cheap Dell will do fine but i would maybe advise a cheap desktop if they have room for one because laptops arent a good thing to take to school anyway they would be relegated to the desk at home anyway.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Warriorscot
Thanks for your quick reply i Talked to the Head of the school at great length about the subjects the Boys were taking and he explained exactly what they will be doing in Computer Studies. Programming, Expert Systems, Communications and Networks and Internet also Problem Solving and an introduction into Building Computers and Information Technology. So if i was to buy a basic Laptop that would do and how much Memory it has doesn't really matter can Laptops in General be Upgraded as this is what they are leaning towards where would be the best place to Start looking for Laptops Either on the Internet or in the Stores Thanks for your Advice Appreciate it

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well laptops as a rule arent upgradable you can upgrade hard drives and add more memory(but the max amount is lower than a normal PC and it only has two slots) but motherboards, CPUs and graphics arent upgradable so you are very limited, in terms of upgrading you would need to get a desktop system for that.

I would probably just get a second desktop system for them, because they dont need a laptop for school( i had one never used the thing for anything other than games) and it would be easier for you to keep track of what they are up to, and it would be upgradable and cost you allot less laptops are quite expensive for what you get and they would probably prefer one half decent laptop they can play some games on as well.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Double

Edited by warriorscot, 17 March 2007 - 10:46 AM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Warriorscot
I Appreciate all your Advice on the computers and Thanks for explaining about the upgrading Laptops I Appreciate your Help Thank you. :blink:

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :help: