Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

neeed help with router plz

• Please log in to reply

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
does anyone no how to turn a netgear dg834 so tht it is just an modem and not a router?
i have a dg834adsl modemrouter >going in to>wpn824 wireless router
i want it so that just the wpn824 wireless router is the only router
this is beacuse when iam hardwired to the dg834adsl modem router anyone connect to the wireless router(hardwired or wireless) cant connect the internet or anything local. its impossible to port forward to another router for hosting servers so i think this should work
i have tried everyway thinkable to get it working
plaes can someone help???!!? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm looking through the manual for the dg834 to see if you can make it just a modem...unfortunately i'm not finding anything...it may be possible to turn the wireless router into an AP instead of a router...which would probably be easier...because in this setup (theoretically) even connected wirelessly to the wireless router...you'd be on the same network as the adsl modem...give me a minute to find that manual

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
ok thankyou! :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i didn't find much good in the wpn824 manual either...

theoretically if you set the wpn824 to assign IP addresses in the same range that the modem/router is handing out...you might get somewhere...

here are my thoughts (all theoretical)

set the DHCP server in the adsl modem to start issuing addresses at 10 and have it issue 10 ip addresses (so it will assign 10 through 19)
set the dhcp server in the wpn824 to start issuing addresses at 20 and have it issue 10 ip addresses (so it will assign 20 through 29)
make sure that the wpn824 is set to issue ip's that are in the same subnet as those given by the modem/router...most of the time, you can do this simply by setting a static ip on the wan port of the router (the wpn824 router)...which is why i said to start the adsl dhcp at 10...set your wpn824 to be something like .2 or .3 whatever..

this should put all your computers on the same subnet..which should mean that they can connect to each other..etc..
this method would also allow you to put a static ip on any webservers etc... as long as that static ip is less than .10

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
i understand and have done the top part (setting the ips)
but what do you mean "most of the time, you can do this simply by setting a static ip on the wan port of the router (the wpn824 router)...which is why i said to start the adsl dhcp at 10...set your wpn824 to be something like .2 or .3 whatever.."
can you explain please cos im confused

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the wpn824 router...you can set it to have a static IP on the WAN (internet side) port...if the ip's that your adsl modem is giving out are 192.168.1.x then make the wan ip of the wpn824 192.168.1.3 ....i may have misspoken about this automatically changing the DHCP scope...after setting the static ip on the wpn824..go to the DHCP page and look for the section that talks about "scope" or dhcp range or something to that effect and set the stuff i talked about there

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
it doesnt say anything bout scope but is the scope the part were ip adress to begin and end
here is a screen shot Use Router as DHCP Server for wpn824 and modem router

Attached Thumbnails

• wpn824.png
  • dg834_v2.png

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yes...that's what i mean by the scope...the start and end adresses

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
ok so ive done tht wot do i do now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
see if you can connect to a machine that's plugged into the modem from a machine that's plugged into the router

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
no it still dosent work :whistling:
how do i make the wireless just an acsess point??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i was hoping that what you did was going to do that...i was apparently incorrect...or something was done incorrectly...

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
ok so i have set the modem router to start giving out ip adresses from 0.10 - 0.19 and then the wireless to give out ps from 1.20 -1.29 so how does tht wrk . have i missed anything out?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what it's supposed to be doing is making sure that all your computers are on the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.1.0) so that they can talk to eachother...and secondly it's making sure that you don't get duplicate IPs

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
ok ii think i have got it working !!
do i still need rip enabled?