Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cabinet Files Corrupt. Cannot Extract files. Stop Error 0x0000008E

• Please log in to reply

indianaryan

indianaryan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi. I just received a new Dell XPS 410 with a Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz with 2 Gb of PC5400 ram. The OS is Windows XP Media Center 2005. I have already received a Blue Screen of Death several times. One time the error read "0X0000008E(0XC000000S,0X80SBAD71,0X95769B94,0X00000000). I did the windows update and downloaded a driver for the DVD writer that Dell recommended. I also installed Vcom Fix-It Utilities 7. Before that though, I unistalled Norton Internet Security 2006. Those are the only changes I made to the system since it arrived on last monday.
I have been unable to extract files from .zip folders that extracted fine on other computers. I installed winzip to see if that worked, and I got the same result. That's problem one.
I have also been unable to install programs such as Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD. Each time I get the same message: Cabinet file "xxx" is corrupt and cannot be used. The installation terminates. I have tried installing the programs off of the original CD's and by downloading them straight from Autodesk's website. I have tried the CD's on other computers and they work fine. That's problem two.
So basically, is there a reason why I can't extract files? And is there a reason why the system keeps claiming that the cabinet files are corrupt? And what could possibly give me a BSOD after less than a week of having the system?
Thanks,
Ryan

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Wouldn't you be better off consulting Dale about their warranty for a brand new computer?

indianaryan

indianaryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have contacted them, but it's so hard to get help from them. They just tell me to use their Dell System Restore tool. Well, if I have to run the system as it came straight out of the box, then there's a problem. When I get off work they're supposed to do the remote assistance thing with me to try to figure out exactly what the problem is. If I can get anywhere with them I will let everyone know and post the solution.

indianaryan

indianaryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok. So I called dell and we ran some diagnostic tests and they all passed. So the hardware is fine. We looked at the mini dump and found what the problem was and it was associated with windows update. We did a couple of different windows updates and the guy from dell said it shouldn't happen again. I guess time will tell.
I still can't figure out why I'm not able to extract this certain file that extracts fine on other computers. And I can't figure out why the cabinet files from the cd are supposedly corrupt.

indianaryan

indianaryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No one at Dell seems to know how to fix the problem. They fixed the stop errors supposedly for me, but I'm still getting errors saying that there are corrupt cabinet files when I try to download and install software. I've tried downloading microsoft software and the same error occurs. Could there be a problem with my cache?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if windows files are corrupted for some reason or another. When you uninstalled Norton did you encounter any problems? Since it's a brand new computer and you want to enjoy it, had I been your position I would have backed up my data and clean install windows. I wouldn't stand for a new computer giving me such problems.

indianaryan

indianaryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No kidding!
Ya I reformatted the hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP. I get the same problems. A new computer with 2 Gb of ram and a 2.4Ghz processor shouldn't do that.
I think I might have fixed the problem with installing software from cd's. I unchecked the "DLA" option on the cd drive and it seems to be working so far. But downloading and installing is another issue. Could it be a problem with the digital signatures? If so, would disabling the firewall fix that?
Also, if I get a second hard drive, should I run the cache on that one to increase performance?
Thanks,
Ryan