Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU Temperature Too High ?

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I would like to know what the ideal temperature is for my cpu with a load on it is ?
With a load on it, it is about 55-60 c.

Advertisements

Opt

Opt

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
What kind of CPU?

I had a older 3500+ that ran at 38,... then had a FX-60 that ran at around 55 to 60.

Obnoxious, annoying text format removed

Edited by Fenor, 21 March 2007 - 05:23 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
55° is a little high for any CPU to running at. Heres my Athlon 2400 temps with only firefox open.

Posted Image

Even when i run a game on this computer i seldom run over 48°.You probably need to check the thermal paste on the CPU heatsink and maybe redo it to lower temps.Some computers like Dell and E-machines have lousy cpu heatsinks so looking into a better heatsink may fix your problem.

http://www.directron...opteronfan.html

SRX660

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I have an Intel Celeron D 335, 2800 MHz (21 x 133) Opt

I do have an e-Machines and I will try a new heatsink.
Here are my temps and the programs running.
By the way, how do I turn up the rpm,s on my fans like yours SRX660?

Also, thank you both for your quick responses.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
You need to buy good fans.

Its not a surprise that you have a emachine. Mine seems to crank up the heat itself on my P4 2.4 ghz

The temps reach to at least 70 degrees celsius! HOT!

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Then I'll get new fans and a new heat sink when I go to the store tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Tell us how it goes :whistling:

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
okay i just wanted to give an update as I have been offloin for a while.
this is the reason I stay away from my local computer supply store
I am now in the process of building a new system for myself and am on a borrowed laptop
this is my first build from scratch normally i just buy a new system and upgrade it a little bit
so i want to take my time and build it perfectly
all this from wanting to install a new cpu heatsink

p.s. WOW does this get expensive

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Personally, i will probably never buy a store bought computer again during my life. It may cost me an average of $1000-1200 to build but this has 3 great effects.

1. I know each piece of hardware in the computer and how it was installed.
2. The computer is not built down to a price but up to a standard.
3. I have hardware that better than any factory built computer built in the stores.

Many people just don't know how much better a Sound blaster sound card sounds, over on-board sound, at louder volumes. They can't understand why some games don't play well on their on-board graphics built into the computer. The main thing to me is i don't take it to a shop to get fixed, i fix it myself. No one chooses for me what i want in a computer. If i want a computer that looks like a basketball i can have that. I get exactly what i want.

I could say volumes more about building your own but you will know when you do it. I will never go back to accepting mediocre.

SRX660

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
$1500 in so far
been busy at work so i have not been able to finish maybe by this weekend

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I have to say this was a great experience, and I will never buy a pre-made pc again.
I also learned a lesson about remembering to wear an anti-static wrist band, when I took out the fan on my e-machine the cpu was stuck to it with the old compound so I took it off and set it down and went to get the new tube of thermal compound when I came back into the room I forgot to snap the cord back on my wriststrap..................I cant find a 478 socket cpu :whistling:
I was going to give this to my brother since he does not have a pc.
Now, about my new machine
intel core 2 duo E6400 conroe cpu and wintec ampx 4GB (4 x 1GB) ram on an abit IN9 motherboard 500 gb sata hd and 3 ide to sata connectors for my old hd and dvd-rw drives xion solaris case a 1000 watt ps and a 17" lcd screen and i also installed an outlet on its own breaker

total cost - priceless

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
478 socket cpu's still for sale.

Intel 2.4 for $45 + $5 shipping
http://www.starmicro...ail.aspx?ID=112

Intel 2.8 for $70
http://www.newegg.co...=OTC-pr1c3watch

Newegg has another northwood and 2 prescott 478 CPU's still for sale. Funny thing is that i have seen fried motherboards, burnt memory, dead video cards, but i have not run across a dead intel processor yet. I took one that i was told was dead and installed it in a intel 865 pemy motherboard and the dang thing fired up. Yes, i did have to clear the cmos on the motherboard to clear the error messages i was getting about "over temp" on the processor, but i am still running this computer as my MP3 storage server for almost a year now.

A little something i found on some E-Machine computers is that replacing the power supply with a good one saved at least 2 computers from the scrap heap. I fixed these comp's before the factory PS's did any damage. They were acting very weird and crashing quite a lot. They had not failed completely when i was looking at them to figure out what the problem was. I do like using E-machines cases for custom builds. Nice strong cases if your looking at minimum hardware builds since they have only places for 2 cdrom drives, a floppy drive and 2 HD's. Quite adequate for cheap builds. I am constantly looking for them at the flea markets.

SRX660