Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC doesn't boot past post

• Please log in to reply

insurin

insurin

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
its an old PC, p3 733mhz, 128mb ram on a ms6188 mobo

It was working fine then one day just decided not to boot. It powers on, cpu fans spins but the monitor does not come on. It seems like it aint getting past post.

So far I have tried

I tested the cpu in another PC (works fine so it aint the CPU)
Tested another 128 ram - no joy
Tested different power pack - no joy
unmounted the mobo and remounted it - no joy
Took out all peripherals

Could the problem be the mobo?

Any help is appreciated

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
well i would advise you reset the cmos this can be done on two ways u can reset the cmos via jumper but u would have to consult the user manual and also be fairly confident inside your system (which im not sure if u r or not) or you could disconnect the power cable from the psu and take out the battary and leave out for a few hours im not sure how long ud take it out to flatten the cmos in this day and age but it use to be approx 24 hours so which ever way u find more confortable but the jumper is obviously the more efficiant option.

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have removed and replaced the cmos battery but it was out for no longer that 5 minutes. I have also short pins 2-3 to clear cmos

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I would try a different video card with everthing you have tried it must be the onboard video/video card or mobo.

Rick

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes it does have onboard video but how could I disable it and use another because I cant get to the point of accessing the bios

stratman

stratman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
if you have an on board video card you cant disable it and i wouldn't worry about dissabling it because it isn't like a notebook that share memory, just install a new one or hook another monitor up to it

insurin

insurin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
silly me, I have got a spare geforce 2 card to try in it but there is no vga slot so there is no option for trying a different video card. As for trying a different monitor I already have with no avail.
Thanks for the comments though, I am still listening. Is it looking like a new mobo will sort it?

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
If you have a spare pci slot you can get pci video cards.
Once you have it back up you can disable onboard in device manager

jerabkin

jerabkin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had same problem. Use F1 to enter bios (avaiable after turn on not on restart) and under video option set shared memory to "disabled".