Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet

• Please log in to reply

thoot12

thoot12

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
This a 3 week old dell with vista home prem. it's got a linksys usb adaptor installed, I see the network, I can look into other computers, but no internet...This was working, but just stopped.
I let it diagnose but no joy. I checked all firewalls on all ends, Any ideas on what next?

Trey

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I had this problem this weekend and it may not be the same thing, but I troubleshot all day, called Tech support and the guy from the telephone company had to come and install a "new card" at a substation. Have you called your ISP to check that possibility? all my machines were showing a connection but no email and no internet. Was not a good sunday.

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
all other computers are online..2 laptops and this desktop....

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
They can see the internet then or are they just showing a connection? All of mine showed a connection and everything tested OK but there was not any internet.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
If this is the only one that is not getting the internet, I would start a new post in networking.

thoot12

thoot12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Dell tech support got it going after an hour of checking, but finally at a command line had me do a reset of winsock...something ....something re-start and all was good...communication with tech guy was ruff but he did good...if this did not work his next step was a system restore point...

Trey

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
That's what they had me do but that didn't work. Glad it all worked out. I was unclear...I thought all the machines were not accessing the internet. Dell support is rough some times. I feel your pain.