Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! my computer wont boot up!

• Please log in to reply

woahh

woahh

• Pip
  • 6 posts
OK heres what happened.. i was playing a game called counter-strike, my norton anti-virus quick scan thing came up and it was lagging me and my computer like froze so i shut it off manually and now its giving me options to use last configuration, start normally, or put it in safe mode.. i try all of those and the windows xp loading screen comes up then after that a blue screen comes up saying a problem has been detected.. and it says this:
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
technical information: *** STOP: {0x0000000ED 0x86F7AA68,OXC000006,0x0000000,0x000000000}

help PLEASE I BEG YOU

Advertisements

Scott3344

Scott3344

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Might be a corrupted system file in Windows. You can try doing a repair installation if you have your Windows XP installation disk, which will use the system restore feature to bring you back to a prior point where everything worked. Instructions are here.

Other than that, if the system actually doesn't recognize the hard disk the disk might have a problem. When the computer boots up, does the BIOS detect the disk?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can boot into safe mode use system restore and go back a week before the problem started...

woahh

woahh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
what do you mean doest he BIOS detect the disk?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Do you happen to have a Windows XP CD?

woahh

woahh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
its giving me an option to goto into safe mode but then it gives me a blue screen...maybe i should try that recovery disk you were talking about???

woahh

woahh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah i have it what do i do? doesnt that reinstall windows xp?? i dont want to do that

Scott3344

Scott3344

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
When you first turn the computer on, before it tries to go into windows, you can usually enter the BIOS by hitting the delete key (sometimes another key - see what the startup screen says).

Don't change any of the settings. But if you can get to the screen in BIOS that lists your hardrives you can see if your hard disk is listed. If not there might be a problem with the disk or one of the cables connected to the disk. Usually just hit the escape key to get out of BIOS with no changes.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
That message means that the harddrive may be failing, or is just may need a simple chkdsk.

Boot up with your Windows XP CD.
When you see the menu, choose RECOVERY CONSOLE.
You will see a command prompt. If you did NOT set a password, just leave it blank and continue.
When you finally reach the RECOVERY CONSOLE and you just see a prompt blinking, type the following code in and press ENTER:

chkdsk /f /r

Let the scan run. This will take awhile. After it is done, take out the Windows XP CD and reboot the computer. Can you access Windows now?

Scott3344

Scott3344

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
A repair installation from the XP disk won't reinstall windows, it will just take it back to a prior point in time where everything worked (e.g. maybe a week or two ago). You won't loose most of what's there, just any changes that were made since that last restore point. The process will typically not affect any documents on your hard drive.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
All a repair does, is fix the OS by rewriting all the corrupted SYSTEM files, and you will also lose most MICROSOFT UPDATES. You will need to retrieve these again when you repair the OS.

Try running the chkdsk though for me please :whistling:

woahh

woahh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok is this the correct CD to use?? Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2??

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah that seems about correct.

Is your PC a manufacturer PC? Does the CD have a hollowgram color?

woahh

woahh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
slacker help its not showing anything up its just showing the normal menu if i want to do known settings, normal, safe mode, i put the cd in, turn my computer off then turn it back on and it just shows that menu...the hologram shiny cd
am i supposed to press a F button??

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey don't worry woahh we'll get it sorted out I promise :whistling:

Can you make sure the BIOS is set to boot right off the CD first?