Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Privacy Procter - is it spyware or malware?

• Please log in to reply

andee39

andee39

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I'm trying to help a friend of mine who recently got his first computer. He has been surfing the net for a few weeks and a few days ago when he clicked on IE icon, a dialog box opened with Microsoft Erase your Footsteps in the frame of the box and inside the box it mentioned installprivacyprocter.exe and downloadcontrol.com. It went on to warn him he was surfing in places he shouldn't be that could get him in all sorts of trouble. Has anyone ever heard of this and is it spyware or malware? I realize if it is, I will have to get him involved if he needs to send any files or download any programs to remove the stuff but I would just like to get an idea of what it might be. I know he has XP MCE and uses Norton 360 software. Any help to start off would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements