Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE and Firefox stop working after about 10-15 Minutes

• Please log in to reply

brodericktaylor

brodericktaylor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm running Windows XP SP2. I usually use Firefox. Yesterday the Internet suddenly stopped working. By stopped working, I mean basically functioned as if the Internet was out... I get the "Page can not be loaded." message. I tried Internet Explorer to see if it was an issue with Firefox.... it didn't work in IE either. I can reboot and it will work for about 10-15 minutes before going out again. Once it goes out, I can still use programs, like AIM, as long as I don't disconnect and reconnect.

I can restore my Internet connection by opening the command prompt and typing "ipconfig/release" and then "ipconfig/renew" This keeps it working for another 10-15 minutes. Furthermore, I think it's a DNS issue because once the Internet "goes out" I can still access web pages by typing in the IP address of the site... so www.google.com will not work, whereas http://216.239.37.104/ will.

My first thought was spyware/viruses, so I did everything in the Malware section's "Do this BEFORE posting a HiJackThis log" with no results. After doing a little searching I found a few people encountering similar problems, with various problems... most people who encountered these problems had installed either ZoneAlarm or Cisco VPN, neither of which I have.

Please let me know if anyone has encountered this, and if so, if you've found a permanent solution.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Give Open DNS a try. Click the "Getting started" link and follow the step by step for your system. Easy to undo.
http://www.opendns.com/

brodericktaylor

brodericktaylor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's been working for the past few hours, so I'm going to assume that fixed it. Leaves me curious because it doesn't get to the root of the problem, but it's permanent, so who cares. Thanks!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Glad to help. :-)
Sometimes we just never understand the mysteries of life. (or computers)