Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Excel protected worksheet

• Please log in to reply

asteroid

asteroid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a MS Excel worksheet which has several cells which contain formulas. The formulas are copied down in columns. The worksheet is protected and only the cells containing formulas have been locked. Is there any way that I can insert or delete rows, whilst keeping the formulas protected?

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yes.

To insert a Row simply place your mouse over the Row where you would like it to be. Right-Click and select Insert. This will insert the row by pushing the Row you are on down one space.

To insert a Column follow the sam instructions except place your mouse over the column you would like to have moved to the right.

Hope this is what you're looking for.
Please reply and let me know if this is what you needed.

asteroid

asteroid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This doesn't work when the worksheet is protected, the insert/delete commands are greyed out when you right click.

Any other ideas?

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Unprotect it. Why is it protected anyway? Is it for you business or is it just protected by error?

From the Tools menu, select Protection, Unprotect Workbook.
Type the password in the Password box, and click OK.

Unprotecting a workbook
From the Tools menu, select Protection, Unprotect Workbook.
Type the password in the Password box, and click OK.

Do you have the password...?

Edited by Lightninghawk, 05 April 2005 - 10:09 AM.

asteroid

asteroid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The worksheet is for business, and I have added the protection - it is a template which will go out to a few users who will populate it with their own data, but it is important that the formulas in the cells remain unchanged.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Can you send me a print screen of the document. If is something private I understand. Tell me where you want the rows. And columns inserted and I'll explain to you how to alter everything.

But what you will NEED to do is SAVE a BACKUP of this worksheet. To do so just click File-->save as--> protectedbackup.xml

This way you won't lose any of the information while you are inserting the rows and everything into the original worksheet. :tazz:

But if you can. Please post a print screen..........

asteroid

asteroid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you want me to email you a copy or post the screen in my reply? (you might have to tell me how to do the second)

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Go ahead and sent it in an email...
[email removed to prevent spam]

Edited by admin, 11 April 2005 - 09:41 AM.