Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LCD Monitor Colour Flickering/Tinting

• Please log in to reply

cam

cam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I bought an LCD monitor last Sunday and it was working fine until yesterday (Friday). Now, the colours pink and blue flicker (tint the screen) on and off. It's not a permanent tint, but the colours come on and off almost every second.

Previously, I had a CRT monitor which was permanently tinted pink or blue. I was told that the guns in the monitor were busted.

Things I've done:

- checked to see if the pins were bent
- unplugged and re-plugged the cables
- checked to see if the plugs were loose

My graphics card is pretty old, an nVidia GeForce 4 MX440 with AGP 8X.

I'm probably going to take the monitor back to the shop, but I want to know if there's any way I can determine the problem myself. Could it be the graphics card?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if you basically had the same thing happen on your crt, id say try another video card, doesnt have to be anything special. i need to get a lcd :whistling:

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It's not exactly the same thing. The CRT was permanently tinted a deep pink or a deep blue. When I hit the monitor, the tint would either change colour or disappear temporarily.

With the LCD, the tint is faint and it comes on and off in a flickering motion.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
do you have another pc you could try it on?

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Unfortunately, no.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
is your lcd a multi hookup? maybe one with composite on the back aswell? id say first thing to try is the monitor on another computer. then try another video card.

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I don't know what a multi-hookup is.

I don't have another video card, but when I tried switching the LCD plug from the GeForce card to the integrated card, the monitor wouldn't work. How do I check if the integrated card can support the LCD?

Edited by cam, 17 March 2007 - 01:20 AM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
check the bios/setup for an option that you can 'toggle' over to onboard video....

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

check the bios/setup for an option that you can 'toggle' over to onboard video....

or pull your video card out and it will go to onboard automatically

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I checked the setup, but there was no option to toggle to onboard video.

I don't really know how to open everything up and pull out the card either.

The problem has got worse - it's now permanently tinted blue.

I did try going to the Device Manager and disabling the nVidia card (with the LCD still plugged in to that card). The colour seemed to be fine, but everything was generally slow and crappy, with no right resolution for me to choose.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

I checked the setup, but there was no option to toggle to onboard video.

I don't really know how to open everything up and pull out the card either.

The problem has got worse - it's now permanently tinted blue.

I did try going to the Device Manager and disabling the nVidia card (with the LCD still plugged in to that card). The colour seemed to be fine, but everything was generally slow and crappy, with no right resolution for me to choose.

if you disabled the card in device manager how did you still have display? also i have read on a few articles and found there is something in some of the lcd's that goes bad and the screen will turn permanent pink, but i didnt see anhting about blue

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
where did you buy that lcd monitor? I would think they would test it for nothing. It would only take them about 30 seconds..

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

if you disabled the card in device manager how did you still have display?

Beats me, but that's what happened.

-----

I brought it back to the shop but they couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I'm guessing this means it's a problem with the graphics card - but what?