Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network says "connected" but doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

jgiurleo

jgiurleo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I have run into a problem with TCP/IP networking on my XP-based tablet PC (service pack 2). I'm stumped.

At work, I have an ethernet switch with a number of D-Link DUB-E100 USB-to-Ethernet converters (network adapters) attached to the ports. I point is to be able to walk over, plug one of the USB plugs in to the tablet PC's USB port to get a network connection. (I can't use the RJ45 jack.. that's a different story).

So what happens is that often times the network will fail to work correctly if I have the USB device already connected when I power up the tablet or when coming out of standby. The network will 100% work if I hot-plug the USB device in when the computer is already on.

The strange part is that everything looks great in Windows XP. The USB device is acquired, and if I look in the Network Connections screen it shows a connected 100MB/s network, same as it looks when it really is working.

I can tell it isn't working because I can't ping anything (get "Request timed out") And if I configure the tablet to "Obtain IP Address Automatically", it won't do it. It can never handshake with the DHCP server. But as soon as I unplug the USB, and then plug it in again... voila. it works. And once it works it will work for as long as the tablet is connected to it, whether I shutdown, standby or not.

If during shutdown or standby I unplug the device, and plug it into a different USB device, the problem is recreated.

I did see a security audit error that IPsec had a problem with network connections. Could that be related?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks very much.

Advertisements