Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update KB929338 warning.

• Please log in to reply

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I have seen an issue with many computers at several sites and they all had a problem booting their computers after installing the last updates.

It seems some computers will not boot back up after installing KB929338. If you are not experiencing the problem described in the update do not install it.

Update for Windows XP (KB929338)
Typical download size: 725 KB , less than 1 minute
This is a reliability update. Install this update to improve the stability of computers running Windows XP. This update prevents some Stop 0x1a or Stop 0x0a errors. After you install this item, you will have to restart your computer.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Computers that hang with these messages don't always do it because of the issue with XP that this patch fixed, more rather they have actual physical memory issues. Some updates do upset some computer setups, but this can be caused by hardware issues and software issues.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
If this is causing problems it shouldn't have been issued as a critical update. Many of those experiencing the problem had updates set to automatically download and install.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Microsoft, for all their faults in some departments, don't release updates that deliberately stuff up systems. After all Windows is just a piece of software that can be manipulated in hundreds of different ways by thousands of other different pieces of software - there's no way for MS to check that every single configuration going doesn't break when a certain update is applied. Most systems will be okay with this update, especially after a fresh installation.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
My take on auto update problems is the "auto" part. It would seem likely that since problems with updates are usually related to the use of Automatic Updates, I think that the user's activities at the time of the update sometimes creates interference with the download and install especially in more hardware limited systems. It would seem to me to be a better practice to turn off Automatic Updates, and dedicate some exclusive time each month to obtaining the required patches from the Microsoft website.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

My take on auto update problems is the "auto" part. It would seem likely that since problems with updates are usually related to the use of Automatic Updates, I think that the user's activities at the time of the update sometimes creates interference with the download and install especially in more hardware limited systems. It would seem to me to be a better practice to turn off Automatic Updates, and dedicate some exclusive time each month to obtaining the required patches from the Microsoft website.

One system that crashed was left running overnight when the update installed. Of course who knows if something was being downloaded during the night when the update decided it was it's turn. Personally I turn off the updates and wait for at least a week after they are released to see if there are problems before installing. I also make sure to create a RP before downloading them.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 18 March 2007 - 03:27 PM.