Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.sys file missing, suspected virus

• Please log in to reply

blingem

blingem

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear helpers,

I'm having a problem booting my computer. I noticed some slowdown problems recently, but the other day my computer would not start. I received an error message that one of my .sys files was missing or corrupted and that I should put my windows system disk in, and then press "r" to repair on the first screen. The error directions were awfully vague. (Sorry I don't have the exact .sys filename, I'm not at my home computer right now but I could get it pretty quickly).

Then, when turned the computer off and back on again, it would say windows did not boot properly, would you like to go into safe mode, regular mode, etc. No matter which one I picked, it didn't boot up. So I went to bed, it was pretty late. I woke up the next morning and the computer worked fine. I was even able to restart it more than once.

Now today, the computer does not work again. Moreover, I only get the error message sometimes. Other times it just gives me a blank screen when the initial windows screen should come on (after all the memory check, etc.), and I never receive the safe-mode option screen.

I suspect this to be a virus because after my computer malfunctioned, I used my external hard drive on another computer, and then that computer experienced rapid slow-down problems. My friend scanned his computer, and found he had a virus that transmits via external hard drives.

Someone please help me soon, I have some critical work I need to do on this computer.

Thank you very much,
Ben

Advertisements

blingem

blingem

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
update: Here is the actual original error message I received:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\DRIVERS\PCI.sys
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Then, just moments ago I received a new error message as well:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

Please someone help me. My computer shop isn't open on saturdays. Or just give me a simple answer to this question: Is it malware? I wish I could run a hijackthis, but I can't open windows.

Thank you,
Ben