Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i check my ram's

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Any idea how can i check my ram's specification. Im trying to buy another 512 ram, but i dunno wad pc or if its ddr or wadever.

Advertisements

computergeek

computergeek

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well you have 3 options that i know of.
1. If your PC is manufactured by a company like HP or Dell you can go to their homepage and look up your computer. They should list its specs.

2. Download a program that will give you that information.

3. Open your computer up take your ram chip out and look at the sticker attachted to it.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
there is also another option if u tell us what spec ur pc is eg processor then you could tell by the fsb because they would have to run in sink this would be alot easier on amd altho possible with intel so tell us your processor speed.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try these:

http://www.belarc.co...load.html&e=912
http://www.lavalys.c...ang=en&pageid=1

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
thx guys, i got the pics.. however, i've no idea which is which. It says pc 2000 in one, and pc 2700 in another. I should also purchase a pipline 333 ddr ram ya? together with either pc 2000 or pc 2700 i assume. Thats all the infos i need?

Btw, i've got 2 slots right now, 512 and 256. Im intending to buy another 512 so i can replace the 256, any idea if my motherboard is able to support 1k ram? Also as there are only 2 slots for rams, is there any way i can increase the slots to 3 so i can have 512-512-256 altogether?

Posted Image

Posted Image

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
anyone plz?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
not really no im afraid but i am assuming u mean mb and 1gb rather then 1k so why would u want more memory to be honest id say u currently had enouph considering the processor is gonna limit the systems over all performance enouph anyway.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
oh? cos im trying to start up more diablo 2 windows. Im currently using 20, and im at 1200/1500 for commit charge. Seems like its gonna explode =p

Also, when i tried botting it gets laggy at times. Doesnt more ram reduces ingame lag problems? If not, wad do?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
but memory isnt the answer yes it helps but the system speed is dependent on motherboard, hard disk, cpu and memory and graphics card to some degree so just waking aload of memory isnt suddenly gonna make it a whole lot faster just a9id multitasking. lol memory fanatic but if u really really really insist on more memory then ull have to buy a 1gb stick.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ohhh, ok, but can i work on 2xs 512 rams? Im not sure if all motherboard supports 1gb or even more rams.

Heres more info on my motherboard

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 62-0524-001131-00101111-040201-VIA_K7$KM266_MS8158EC Series 05/24/2004
Motherboard Name Matsonic MS8158D/E

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 125 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 250 MHz
Bandwidth 2000 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 50 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 200 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 190 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset KM266

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Matsonic, Inc.
Product Information http://www.matsonic....oduct_intel.htm
BIOS Download http://www.matsonic....nload_intel.htm

This is the info of my chip set just incase u need this...

Field Value
North Bridge Properties
North Bridge VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
In-Order Queue Depth 4

Memory Timings
CAS Latency (CL) 2.5T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 3T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 3T

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (DDR SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type S3 ProSavageDDR
Graphics Controller Status Disabled

AGP Controller
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Device nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.
Product Information http://www.via.com.t...oducts/chipsets
Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Advertisements

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi Inite,

Your system has a configuration problem which is affecting your memory speed.

Your memory is running at PC2000 DDR, (see your Pic) when it should be at least PC2100.

The reason is that it is not set up correctly in your BIOS.

Some other things to consider are that your other pic, the ram one, only shows me the 512mb stick of PC2700 which is too fast for your system and is therefore underclocked, this is ok , as it will run fine at your system's maximum speed.
The problem is that we can't see what the SPD* of the 256mb stick is, so we don't know it's specification. If it is at least PC2100, that's ok too, as that is what your system is rated for. All system ram will run at the speed of the lowest speed stick installed, despite the ratings of the other ram modules.

* (Serial Presence Detect - this is the function of the little tiny chip in the corner of the RAM module)

If you do buy more ram, consider buying PC3200 spec, as you will be able to use it if you upgrade your PC further. You cannot install more than 2 sticks, consider buying a 1gb stick if you really think it's needed, but it's not likely you will.

Your system bus is running at 200mhz, which brings us to an important point......
What exactly is your CPU? The fact that the bus runs at 200mhz points to the fact that it is an AMD Duron CPU, speed unknown.

Duron's run at 200mhz while AMD XP CPU's run at 266mhz (on your machine anyway). If in fact you do actually have an AMD XP + series CPU, then your BIOS is configured incorrectly and your system is not running at full speed.

If, in fact, you have a Duron CPU, then a CPU upgrade to a 266mhz FSB AMD XP + series CPU will boost your performance considerably. This is because the FSB (front side bus speed) will be increased and the XP CPU's are far superior, boasting more cache ram and instruction sets.

ALAS..... Your system, particularly your mainboard's chipset is reaching it's expiry date as far as modern computers go, it's getting old. So be careful on how much you spend on it.

My advice is for you to upgrade, and there are 3 routes to consider.

1. Buy RAM, PC3200 as it is the same price as the slower ram and can be used later in an upgraded PC. Also, if you have a Duron CPU, try to obtain an XP2400+ or better, but the CPU must be an older 266mhz front side bus model. Also, your BIOS needs to be configured by a competent person to set up your computer so that it performs as designed.

2. Buy a modern chipset (mainboard), CPU and new PC3200 RAM. ( you need the ram anyway). A cheap alternative is to buy a cheap nForce2 ultra 400 chipset mainboard, which will support up to an XP3200+ CPU on a 400mhz FSB speed. PC3200 RAM is also 400mhz ram, and this system will give you the one of the most powerful 32 bit PC's available at a minimum cost. The nForce2 chipset supports DUAL CHANNEL ram configuration which also boosts performance further. Dual Channel ram requires 2 identical (or nearly so) sticks of RAM for it to function in that mode, otherwise the system will remain in single channel Ram mode.

3. If you have spare cash, Wait a little longer until the new AMD "VENICE" CPU's are firmly established in the marketplace and prices start to drop. Then Upgrade to a nForce 4 Ultra (or nforce5 ?) chipset (64bit compatible), with the new venice CPU installed, or perhaps even a drastically discounted (by then) non - Venice socket 939 XP CPU.

Modern chipsets are running front side bus speeds at or in excess of 1ghz which means the motherboards themselves are about 5 times faster than yours. Add to this the fact that 4ghz CPU's (or equivalent to 4ghz in performance) are appearing in the stores right now, and these CPU's are vastly superior to what you are now experiencing. Advances in RAM technology are producing DDR2 600mhz modules that are 3 times faster than your present RAM.

Hope that helps. :tazz:

Edited by Congo, 13 April 2005 - 09:06 AM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
very nice help there!

I'll post back in a while, but i've a quick question. I was told by storeman my comp can only take pc2700 rams, ddr333. Ur advise is at pc3200. Is that storemaan wrong? Or as long as i get back ddr 333, im fine , nvm the pc?

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Ok, the short answer is yes, the storeman was wrong. The mainboard uses a via KM266 chipset which only supports PC2100 ram (DDR 266).

Now, to qualify my answer.

Firstly, I researched your mainboard and it is a real oddity. (the things people do!). More on that in a moment....

Usually, chipsets will accept higher spec ram and it will just run at the mainboards maximum designed speed, in your case 133mhz, (or 266mhz DDR). So, if you buy PC2700 or PC3200, it doesn't matter, it will all slow down to 266mhz (PC2100) on your machine.

Some chipsets may not like this configuration, and on top of that, the mainboard may not like a mix of PC2700 and PC3200 or any other mixed configuration, That is why I wondered what your second 256mb module actually is, to check whether or not you are already running a mixed RAM specification. The worst case scenario if you bought PC3200 ram and it didn't work, would be that you have ram for your next upgrade, or, if PC3200 is difficult to obtain in your location, you could always sell it. If you, however, purchase PC2100 or PC2700 Ram, it will certainly be under spec in a modern chipset / system upgrade, which I'm almost sure you will soon want, thus you will waste you money.

The fact that your machine is currently running at PC2000 (which is also in error) with overspec PC2700 is proof positive that your machine will run overspec ram simply by slowing it down. So the risk of non compliant RAM is minimal. Just make sure you buy non-ECC unbuffered ram.

Now, as for your mainboard........ My research shows that it comes with an "onboard" cpu. Yes, that's right folks, that's what it said. And it gets wierder......

The "onboard" cpu is either an XP1700+ or a Duron 1700, depending on who you believe, but I'm betting it's a Duron because of your Front Side Bus speed which is 100mhz and not the 133mhz of an XP cpu. Pity.

Matsonic for this purpose has renamed your CPU to a XP3000+ Pro, which is deceptive and misleading to say the least and there has been some bad press concerning this. I hope you were not mislead when you purchased your machine, because it is nothing like an XP3000+ cpu based system.

I'm sorry to have to break this news to you if you thought it was.

:tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Actually this cpu is made by someone whos a scammer, so basically i got tricked the sec i believed in him.

Ok, now i've some questions in mind. Im gonna be in the army in a year time, so before that i wouldnt wanna be upgrading my comp, instead i would like to just modify my currently comp so it works as optimised, but not overclocked. Im running 24/7 so i guess over-clocking would make it die off really quickly.

1) Im currently running 512 + 256 mb of ram. Im intending to upgrade both to 512 + 512. That would certainly help ya? So, im assuming i should buy a pc 3200 one, becos it works and its more suited for modern computers.

2) Regarding the bios settings, u mentioned that it was not well cofigured to run properly. Could u guide me through settings?

3) "Your memory is running at PC2000 DDR, (see your Pic) when it should be at least PC2100." Is there a way i can change so that it is running at least pc2100?

Heres a SS of my rams's spects, together with other infos which u might find useful

Posted Image

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Yes, I can only guide you though, and your BIOS will hopefully allow you to make the adjustments.

What I am about to say totally relies on the accuracy of your posted pic of everest's system analysis.

Your cpu is identified as an XP with a 12x multiplier but it's running 25% underclocked at 100mhz instead of 133mhz. You need to go into BIOS and change the FSB setting to 133mhz (266mhz DDR).

Your memory is running at 125mhz and not the stock speed of 133mhz, this must be due to user interference and is not a standard clock speed for ram. The RAM speed must be set to AUTO, SPD or 133mhz (266mhz DDR).

There may be an option to set the ram to 166mhz, if you set this, it will run at the RAM's rated speed of 166mhz or PC2700. This will depend on the chipsets limitations and any BIOS support for those settings. An upgraded BIOS may provide you with a 166mhz ram speed option. But I haven't and will not research the chipset/mainboard/ bios for your pc, that is up to you.

I'm sure that the 166mhz (PC2700) ram optain (if at all available) will not even give you any noticeable performance increases, because the AMD rigs work best in "syncronised" mode with the bus speeds running congruently. So just leave the ram set at 133mhz when you find the option.

Your pic also provides info on the RAM's optimum timings, which are 2-3-3-6

Currently your CAS latency is set to 2.5 and not 2 ...... this has a significant impact on system peformance. Find the option in bios and change it.

B I O S . . . . Something you need to know......

All bios are different and it's worth getting out the mainboard manual and going thru it beforehand. Most manuals are very vague on the subject of bios settings so some guesswork and logical decisions will be required.

Some BIOS options do not appear (hidden) until you enable other options, then you will be able to access to techy stuff.

BIOS is CMOS is SETUP depending on your mainboard.

BIOS operations can make your PC not bootable.

To make BOOTABLE again, reset CMOS / BIOS jumper on the mainboard, refer to manual, or identify cmos reset jumper on mainboard (usually near battery) and plcae in "on" position for 30 seconds with power off and PC power cord unplugged from PC.

Mainboard BIOS can be "flashed" to new bios with complete knowledge and due care. Flashing BIOS can destroy your mainboard if problems occur, such as power failure/spike during flash operation.

When you get to your BIOS page, and I won't tell you how yet, you should select "DEFAULT" settings or similar and then Re-Select your preferred option.
This will select default mainboard configurations and then if you go to "optimum" or "turbo" or anything else similar, it will at least have started from the default settings. After selecting the "turbo" or whatever, further tweaking can be accomplished by entering the sub-menus.

Some BIOS / CMOS interfaces are terrible, others are very good, cheap and nasty mainboards often come with nasty BIOS interfaces.

Good Luck!!! :tazz:

Edited by Congo, 14 April 2005 - 04:36 AM.