Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i check my ram's

• Please log in to reply

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I'm sorry, I missed something in the last post.....

Your CPU, if indeed an XP1700+, is set to a multiplier of 12x which is overclocked from its standard of 11x multiplier. Your's is set as a 1900+, not a 1700+, I suspect this is further user interference. Your CPU may be able to run at 12x but setting defaults will or should remedy this setting to its's normal state, further overclocking is possible by re-setting the 12x option, but beware.

Advertisements

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
oops, a double post, sry, this is an edit.

Edited by Congo, 14 April 2005 - 05:03 AM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Oh, lots of infos there.

But i have a quick question yet again...

"Your cpu is identified as an XP with a 12x multiplier but it's running 25% underclocked at 100mhz instead of 133mhz. You need to go into BIOS and change the FSB setting to 133mhz (266mhz DDR)."

How much will this affect its performance if i do change to 133mhz

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok, i changed my bios settings, not sure if its right but this is wad i changed.

Under "DRAM Frequency", it was initially set to "auto". I changed it to "266 Mhz" as recommended. The other option available is "200 Mhz"

Hopefully i didnt mess it up.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
That CPU is meant to run at 133mhz (266mhz DDR).

It will start performing like an XP processor if you bump it up. If you get the ram running in sync at 266mhz with it, like you say you have, you won't believe it's the same machine, as long as you clean all the junk out of your startup and shut down all the apps and stuff running in the background like most people have.

I think you are gonna like it a lot better now. :tazz: If it's still not fast enough, consider the upgrade options I outlined above.

Don't forget to tweak the ram timings if you can.

Edited by Congo, 14 April 2005 - 09:24 AM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok, this brings me to the next step =p (gotta take it one step at a time, the information u've given me are over-clocking) =p

"Your pic also provides info on the RAM's optimum timings, which are 2-3-3-6

Currently your CAS latency is set to 2.5 and not 2 ...... this has a significant impact on system peformance. Find the option in bios and change it."

I found this option under bio as well, and indeed its 2.5. How big of a difference would it be with this changed to 2 and the DRAM Frequency, which i've alreayd done?

Also, wad would u recommend since i do not wanna buy a new motherboard? Should i try my luck on a 512 ram pc 3200, or just tweak my current configurations?

Lastly, currently i running 512+256. Would i be better off running just 512 since they are not of the same frequency? Or it doesnt really matter? Im worried about them clashing.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
The CAS 2.0 timing will increase the PC's bandwidth, making it more powerful and also using the capabilities you paid for.

The info I provided is NOT overclocking, it's simply setting your system up to specification.

Your 512mb and 256mb RAM modules are both PC2700 and are compatible. But they are over spec, so it's quite possible to overclock them if your bios permits.

Don't overclock yet, just get the system up to spec first and see if it's suitable.

You need to set your Front Side Bus speed to 133mhz or (266mhz DDR), have you done that yet?

FSB speed = 266mhz :tazz:

CPU speed = 266mz ;)

RAM speed = 266mhz ;)

RAM timings = 2-3-3-6 :)

Do that and tell us how it worked.

You may find the ram amount adequate after this.

Edited by Congo, 14 April 2005 - 10:06 AM.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Also, check your CPU multiplier and see what it is, remember, the research showed your CPU as an XP1700+ which has a 11x multiplier by default, and not 12x as your everest pic shows it is configured to.

12x is probably overclocked, unless your particular CPU is actually an XP 1900+ :tazz:

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
"You need to set your Front Side Bus speed to 133mhz or (266mhz DDR), have you done that yet?"

Is that under bio as well? I dont remember seeing another option that gives 133mhz, i'll search around.

Btw, which part of everest will i have to paste so i can show u the alterations and current settings i've done?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
"12x is probably overclocked, unless your particular CPU is actually an XP 1900+ "

Regardig this, i've no clue at all, all i know is that when i starts my comp, it reads xp 2200pro. Is that what you meant? But from wad i gathered, despite that, its actually running at p4 1.2-.15 only =/
I asked for a speed of p4 1.8, and he told me that when converted, they are the same =.=

Advertisements

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Just set it all up to the speed settings I recommended above, and use the Overclock tab of everest to get the results and post them as you did before.
(If the overclock tab is still available)

The only variation here is the DEFAULT CPU multiplier, which is still actually unknown to me, the last pic you posted showed it was 12x , but that was before you set defaults in BIOS. (if you did in fact set defaults).

Yes, the CPU multiplier setting is set in BIOS, but that option may not be available. Look carefully for it.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ok, below is the infos on the tab, overclock. If a SS is better visually, let me know, i'll just take a SS. Just wanna get things done really quick here. Ok, this is wad i have changed .

DRAM Frequency 266 MHZ (default was at auto, also i beleive this is the FSB you were referring to)
DRAM CAS# Latency 2 (default was 2.5)

Btw when i restarted the comp, exactly this is show "PRO2200A". Does that help in any case? Otherwise could i get the accurate info of the mulitplier from everest?

Also, i happen to come across this in bio, under Hardware Monitor.

System fan speed = 0 RPM <-- i thought this looks bad. or is this actually normal? I've 3 fans located at the side casing, literally taking over the place of my side casing.

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP
CPU Alias Palomino
CPU Stepping A5
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon™ XP
CPUID Revision 00000662h

CPU Speed
CPU Clock 1199.89 MHz
CPU Multiplier 12.0x
CPU FSB 99.99 MHz (original: 133 MHz)
Memory Bus 124.99 MHz

CPU Cache
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 62-0524-001131-00101111-040201-VIA_K7$KM266_MS8158EC Series 05/24/2004
Motherboard Name Matsonic MS8158D/E (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
Memory Timings 2-3-3-? (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

SPD Memory Modules
DIMM1: Kingston K 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)
DIMM2: Kingston K 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz)

BIOS Properties
System BIOS Date 05/24/04
Video BIOS Date 04/19/01
DMI BIOS Version 07.00T

Graphics Processor Properties
DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Inno3D Tornado GeForce2 MX)
GPU Code Name NV11 (AGP 4x 10DE / 0110, Rev B2)
GPU Clock 200 MHz
Memory Clock 143 MHz

Sensor Properties
Tsystem 30 °C (86 °F)
Taux 51 °C (124 °F)
Fcpu 5444 RPM
Vcore 1.76 V
V2.5 2.51 V
Vio 3.22 V

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Heres the infos under the "motherboard" tab

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 62-0524-001131-00101111-040201-VIA_K7$KM266_MS8158EC Series 05/24/2004
Motherboard Name Matsonic MS8158D/E

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 125 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 250 MHz
Bandwidth 2000 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 50 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 200 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 190 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset KM266

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Matsonic, Inc.
Product Information http://www.matsonic....oduct_intel.htm
BIOS Download http://www.matsonic....nload_intel.htm

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
The DRAM setting can be quite different from the FSB speed, and your specs you just listed prove it.

Try to be sure if there is a FSB or CPU setting of 133mhz, or 266mhz DDR.

Here is what i see you have from the text you posted

FSB = 100mhz

RAM (memory bus) = 125mhz

Ram timings are corrected! 2-3-3-? :tazz:

The system fan just doesn't have a sensor cable attached.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ahhh, ok so im assuming the FSB is not yet corrected, thus leading to this RAM (memory bus) = 125mhz?

I guess theres some hidden functions which i gotta explore deeper... I'll post back in a while to see if i am able to figure that out.