Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i check my ram's

• Please log in to reply

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, a mainboard that only has a cmos reset jumper must have the bus speeds in the bios, so we are back to that, unless it just doesn't exist, which would be a first in my experience.

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
could it be the over clock func i told u earlier? Its set at auto atm, but otherwise, it has only 101 - 116 mhz options. should i try that and have it at 101?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
btw, do u have a rough idea which category it might be in the bios so i can throw in my vacuum and suck single stuffs i can find out.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Just go through every single option carefully, and see if there are certain options that enable others, this is usually done by turning off "auto" settings and going to "manual" or "expert" settings, something like that. If you find me a link to download your mainboard manual, I might get it and see if I can find the option, or perhaps you could copy or scan any relevant info and email it to me so I can see for myself, but try to keep the filesize down as I live remotely and I don't have broadband internet.

That overclock option is useless for now because it deals with a 100mhz FSB overclock (for a Duron CPU), we need to see that option change to allow overclocking for a range like 134mhz to 150mhz or similar. In other words, there must be another option to enable the 133mhz fsb speed.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ok, i guess the best option now is for me to find the manual online and let u know of the link. will post back in a while

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
http://www.matsonic....nload_intel.htm

Any chance u know which is i should go to under manual? Thats the page where u get all the manuals, but it seems like my motherboard name is Matsonic MS8158D/E , which cant be found, so either i made a mistake with the motherboard model, is i cleary started below, or there isnt a guide online?

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 62-0524-001131-00101111-040201-VIA_K7$KM266_MS8158EC Series 05/24/2004
Motherboard Name Matsonic MS8158D/E

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 125 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 250 MHz
Bandwidth 2000 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 50 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 200 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 2 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 190 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset KM266

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name Matsonic, Inc.
Product Information http://www.matsonic....oduct_intel.htm
BIOS Download http://www.matsonic....nload_intel.htm

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
This might be something like you are up against......

http://www.techimo.c...p/t-137890.html

The answer is toward the bottom.

Your's won't be the same, but, hey, anything is possible!

I'm having a look as well on this, it's quite a little problem!

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ok thx man. i know its taking some trouble helping me out. I have close to zero knowledge and gotta be guided like a lost snail. I'll read that up in the morning, its nite time right now, was about to sleep but decided to check it out.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
inite,

I found your manual after some fairly intensive searching.

http://www.matsonic....ownload_via.htm

It shows the FSB speed select jumper ( JP3 ) near the ATX power connector on your mainboard. (the main power connector on the board)

It's very close to the CPU fan riser (connector).

Also the BIOS setup has a "CPU PnP Setup" page if you have the same or similar BIOS file.

According to the manual, the setup page ID's the CPU and sets the CPU Frequency automatically (as well as DRAM frequency). IT shows the settings as AUTO by default, it is here that the Front Side Bus speed is set. FSB speed is the same as the CPU frequency. You must have to highlight the "Auto" and then change the setting to your preference. Theoretically, the AUTO setting should work, but this may not be the situation here.

Now, the "CPU PnP Setup" shows a Duron CPU in the manual, which is what I would expect from all I have read about your mainboard. I am confused by your Everest, CPUz and other software detections that show the CPU as an Athlon XP.

I need to make 2 important points now.

Firstly, With JP3 (the FSB control jumper) set to pins 2-3, it will set a FSB/CPU speed of 133mhz. This is odd because the FSB speed is usually set EITHER by jumper or by BIOS, not both. If this is true, then one setting must over-ride the other. Please let me know if you find the JP3 jumper and / or the "CPU PnP Setup" page in your BIOS.

Secondly, if your CPU is actually a Duron, (and I doubt this because of our previous diagnostics), it will not like to run at 133mhz FSB speed, and you may need to reset the JP3 back to pins 1-2, and reset bios "CPU PnP Setup" to AUTO, or reset CMOS jumper pins 2-3 to get the PC to work again if this procedure fails. There is a slight risk of Damage to a Duron CPU set to run at 133mhz. (I hate durons anyway!)

Now, saying that, I believe the risk is minimal, you could identify the CPU itself by taking the Heat Sink and Fan (HSF) assembly off the top of the CPU, but I definitely don't recommend this to you unless you have done it before, or unless you have specific knowledge of the procedure. If you attempt to remove the HSF to ID the cpu, make sure you read all about it first and have some thermal paste handy!

One last thing, make sure your RAM speed is set to a ratio of 1:1 before switching to the new FSB/CPU speed.

Good Luck, and please tell me the result.

Congo :tazz:

Edited by Congo, 18 April 2005 - 12:31 PM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i tried taking off Heat Sink and Fan, but it gets pretty complicated, so i'll have to pass on that part.

Also, i recalled that technician telling me mine is a duron. Any chance we can eliminate any doubts from any programs to determine the fact? I dont wanna be risking anything fried =p

Advertisements

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
CPUz already ID'd it as a XP cpu so set your ram to 1:1 and bus to 133mhz and see if it goes.

But can you first answer my questions from the last post please? There might be an issue.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
"It shows the FSB speed select jumper ( JP3 ) near the ATX power connector on your mainboard. (the main power connector on the board)

It's very close to the CPU fan riser (connector).

Firstly, With JP3 (the FSB control jumper) set to pins 2-3, it will set a FSB/CPU speed of 133mhz"

Ok, i searched around my motherboard, and its manual, the only jumper i found is JP2, and theres no JP3 anywhere .

"According to the manual, the setup page ID's the CPU and sets the CPU Frequency automatically (as well as DRAM frequency). IT shows the settings as AUTO by default, it is here that the Front Side Bus speed is set. FSB speed is the same as the CPU frequency. You must have to highlight the "Auto" and then change the setting to your preference. Theoretically, the AUTO setting should work, but this may not be the situation here."

Under the CPU PnP setup page, there are only these 4 options.

cpu type (cant recall, but it should be Pro2200A+)
dram frequency 133 (was auto, but changed as u suggested)
cpi over-cloking Func Disabled
Cpu Over-clocking Freq N/A

Cant seem to find "CPU frequency" anywhere.

Anything i might have missed out searching?

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
No, I think that about covers it. It must be a slightly different BIOS to the one I have in the manual.

Well, that's a real shame, no J3 and no bios support......... I think we are sunk.

Oh well, we gave it our best shot. I wouldn't waste another cent on that PC, so make sure if you do buy ram, that it's PC3200, so it's compatible with an upgrade.

You Are going to have to spend big money on a video card to get gaming performance on ANY machine. Your PC only supports AGP 4x speed and is not compatible with the latest AGP standards or the newer PCIe graphics bus.

Your CPU is WAY under spec for a gaming rig.

I wish you luck with it, I just don't know what else to do, I think you may have the worst PC I've seen yet. It seems to have some power, but we can't use it!

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
sorry for late reply. was on a holiday.

sounds bad, didnt know my comp was that bad =/ Btw, i reckon theres actually pc4000 rams ya? and if i were to upgrade, wouldnt i get a motherboard that supports higher ram at pc4000, instead of getting a lower end of ram of pc3200, perhaps a year later?

Btw, im having random restarts of comp occasionally. At times, it occurs when i try to close msn or irc. The error message from the blue screen i receive is either "software/hardware error(newly installed)" or "inadequate disk space" . Any idea if a ram would resolve the problem? Also, as im using 512+256, would it be better to use just 512 alone?