Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC auto-restarts randomly, pls help!

• Please log in to reply

domyue

domyue

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi guys,

I've recently put together a PC and for the first 3 weeks it was running perfectly. Then in the past week, it started crashing completely randomly it seems. No error messages or blue screens, it just auto restarts.

On reboot, it has an error log (the following are 5 examples out of about 10 crashes so far)

Ex 1
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 c0384dc0, parameter3 ebf4e4ec, parameter4 00000000.
(This occurred when I was finishing an installation of iTunes..don't know if that's of significance?)

Ex 2
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 c038d724, parameter3 ecb494ec, parameter4 00000000.

Ex 3
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 804e7fc2, parameter3 ec2dc4e4, parameter4 00000000.

Ex 4
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 c038c2f4, parameter3 ec94189c, parameter4 00000000.

Ex 5
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 804e7fc2, parameter3 ec4da4e4, parameter4 00000000.

I've not installed any new hardware in the last week nor any major programs. I've got no spyware (according to spybot). Norton windoctor reported a missing msvcr80.dll (i realise i can't just add this .dll back into my system...plus I'm told it's a necessary .dll for office 2007 and .NET 2.0)

Any idea what my problems could be??

Thanks so much!
Dom

PS: the attached jpegs shows the errors windoctor comes up with

Attached Thumbnails

• Missing_.dll_file.JPG
  • Missing_.dll_file_2.JPG

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
What operating system is this, what manufacturer + model?

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Its Win XP SP2 Home

The Motherboard and 3.4 ghz processor comes from an Advent 3519
I put in my own: RAM (1gig), 2 HDs, GFX card, PCI sound card, PCI USB card

Temps are about 50oC tops and PSU is a Hiper 350W

Thanks

Edited by domyue, 17 March 2007 - 06:10 PM.

JaceMan

JaceMan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Often times random reboots are the case of a corrupted device driver (most often video, but not always); overheating cpu or gpu(I did note your reported temperatures), bad motherboard, or failing video card. Other possibilites exist, but these are your most likely culprits.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Ok, but how do I diagnose more specifically and rectify the problem?

JaceMan

JaceMan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, if you don't have hardware to swap out for testing purposes your tools are going to be limited. The FIRST thing I would start with would be to update your video and sound card drivers.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
its all updated to latest except my BIOS one maybe

BTW, what do you think about the msvcr80.dll being missing. That's a driver file too.

THanks

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I've got a minidump now too

Attached Thumbnails

• minidump.JPG

JaceMan

JaceMan

• Pip
  • 9 posts

its all updated to latest except my BIOS one maybe

BTW, what do you think about the msvcr80.dll being missing. That's a driver file too.

THanks

I think the fact that you mentioned there was an error when installing iTunes makes you a prime candidate for sound card driver issue. If it were me, I would opt to uninstall the drivers for my video and sound card (even if they are up to date as you say) and reinstall them after rebooting. If a file has become corrupt, missing, unregistered, etc... this would be a good way to ENSURE that the problem is not here.

This Link May Help Too, after you uninstall the drivers to ensure that they really are gone.

In the case of random restarts, where there can be soooo many different options, it is best to simply start removing variables. In this case, you asked about msvcr80.dll being "missing." Since I don't know anything about that file (i.e. haven't done any research on it) I'll have to trust your information about the programs that are relying upon it. That being said, are you sure that it's not on your computer? That is to say perhaps it is present but has been unregistered. If you have not done a manual check for that file, I encourage you to do so.

If you do not find it what I would do is to uninstall my .NET 2.0 updates and installation, reboot, and visit Windows Update to reinstall them. If the dll is required by an MS Update it should check your computer for the presence and version of the dll, and if not found install and register it for you. Most software dependencies in the Windows world are included with the software that requires them unless it is a core system file.

In short, I can't promise you that uninstalling and reinstalling video/sound and making sure that the dll you mentioned are present and registered will correct your issue, but I can promise it's going to be that much harder to fix it if you don't try.

Cheers!

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
The thing is, all was working fine until last week or so, when the crashes came about 4 times a day. At other times of the crash, iTunes would not even be open and i'm not using the sound card.

The msvcr80.dll is apparently still there and working fine - it was an error on symantec's side. So that clears the .dll being the cause.

I've uninstalled .NET 2.0 completely and installed .NET 1.0 from scratch.

I'm going to do a memtest86 RAM test soon, i'll let you know if there are any errors
My CPU isnt overheating and my 350W PSU SHOULD be enough??? (I've not got a grat gfx card nor loads and loads of components)

Are there any other options I can try, can anyone look at my minidumps??

Edited by domyue, 18 March 2007 - 09:58 AM.

JaceMan

JaceMan

• Pip
  • 9 posts

The thing is, all was working fine until last week or so, when the crashes came about 4 times a day.

So goes the situation for everyone until a problem starts. Everything is ALWAYS working "fine" up until the time when it isn't! :whistling:

Are there any other options I can try??

Sure! Loads!

The memory test will be interesting. Aside from waiting for those results, examining the Event Viewer for other errors/messages would be a smart move. If you have a spare cpu lying around compatible with that motherboard you could always swap it to see if the problem is there. Assuming that you don't have one available I'm very interested to know whether or not you actually reinstalled your video and sound drivers as I suggested? If not...

While talking about swapping hardware and video/audio possibilities I'm curious of something. You mentioned you don't have a "great" graphics card, but that leads me to believe that you do have one. With that in mind does your motherboard have onboard video? If it does, you could always remove your graphics card and run Windows with onboard video to see if that improves things. If it does, then you know where your problem lies.

In any event, I would encourage you not to give up nor worry. Just be patient and willing to try suggestions (i.e. uninstalling/reinstalling device drivers). The last thing you want is for someone (myself or someone else) to suggest the winning solution, but it never proves victorious for you because you didn't give it a go.

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok will try reinstalling drivers, thanks for help so far!

domyue

domyue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I've recently discovered a driver incompatibility with comodo and kaspersky... so i'm gonna change antivirus and see if it has an immediate effect first of all.