Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Large hard drive question

• Please log in to reply

Geeves

Geeves

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
A friend of mine recently wanted to get a larger hard drive. He bought and EIDE Western Digital 320GB drive. I tossed it in the machine, left the jumper on CS (seeing as how they were so kind and didn't give me a jumper). On first bootup I went into computer management and noted it was only showing it would have 32GB available.

I reset the machine and booted from the cd they gave me (Data lifeguard tools). It found the drive and told me I have 137GB. Still not showing the full capacity.

I read around a bit and it even says in the manual that this can be resolved in windows XP by installing later service packs. Well he has SP2. The only other things I can think of is he needs a bios upgrade. But his PC is only 2 1/2 years old...........

I'm kind of stuck. How do I get his machine to recognize the entire drive?

I ran Belarc on his machine and a BIOS agent, here's what I got:

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

System Model
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a
1.25 gigahertz AMD Athlon
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board: nVidia-nForce
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/01/2003

Drives
217.47 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
142.24 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-451S [CD-ROM drive]
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1612 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG SP0802N [Hard drive] (80.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 0637J3FW845913, rev TK100-23, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 [Hard drive] (137.44 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCAMR3643686, rev 08.05J08, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Memory Modules c,d
Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes
c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 40.02 GB 3.89 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 1) 137.44 GB 137.43 GB free
g: (FAT32 on drive 0) 40.01 GB 917 MB free

BIOS Date: 08/01/03
BIOS Type: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 08/01/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BB01C
OEM Sign-On: NCD0801 BS
Chipset: Unknown
Superio: Winbond 627F/HF rev 7 found at port 2Eh
CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 1250 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 512 MB
Memory Maximum: 1024 MB
Memory Slot 01: 512 MB
Memory Slot 02: 0 MB
ACPI Revision: 1.0

MOBO is a M7NCD

I'm not sure if the bios needs to updated or not, just speculation on my part. I did find what I think are updates for it on the Biostar website but I have never done a bios flash and would rather avoid it if at all possible.

Any ideas?

Edited by Geeves, 17 March 2007 - 06:53 PM.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Your PC may only be 2 1/2 years old but your bios is 3 1/2 years old. I would update it.

The process is fairly straight forward, but it's really easy to mess things up so understand the process before you attempt it.

Western Digital Support.

:whistling:

Edited by -=blaster=-, 17 March 2007 - 09:51 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like the drive was jumpered for reduced size since you could only see 32gb. I would certainly recheck the jumper configuration and make sure it is set to full capacity and CS and use the 80 wire cable that came with the drive. Use the WD disk to set the drive up, it can see and format the full capacity. And you can, of course, partition the drive in segments too.

Geeves

Geeves

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Turned out to be the jumper was incorrect. adjusted that and it worked fine. Thanks!