Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will turn on but

• Please log in to reply

computergeek

computergeek

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a HP pavilion with a celeron processor and cd-rw/dvd rom drive (im pritty sure it also has a 530 watt power supply. Ok well i screwed up, I wanted to add another drive so i could burn cds and since my computer was an HP this was almost impossible. I had to take apart my whole PC just to get the drive in and when iput it back together something was faulty. All my drives were running (hard drive, cd drive, cd-rw drive) but my processor wasnt running and my computer fan wasn't running. My wireless PCI card's power LED light was blinking instead of being solid. So i tried taking out the cd drive i had just installed but nothing happend. The screen would be blank and say "going in to power mode in 3,2,1". could you please tell me what's going on any help would be greatly aprreciated. If you need more info just ask (I did all the work on my computer with everything unplugged)

Thanks

Advertisements

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
check if you plugged the CPU fan back in the right way and check if it's still connected. Check also if your ram in in correctly and if your video card (if present) is connected right.

try putting the pc back togetter part by part. Make sure your new HD and old HD are not both on slave or both on master

Rik

computergeek

computergeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried all that and still nothing. Do you think i have a faulty motherboard?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

What do you mean the processor was not running, do you mean the cpu fan?

You mentioned a "computer fan" not running witch one or were is it located?

Does this have a video card or onboard video?
Don't worry if you can't answer all of these but try as best you can.
Also try removing the wirerless pci card and see if anything appears on the screen.

Rick

computergeek

computergeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yes the cpu fan wasn't running

the computer fan i was talking about is a fan in the back of a computer. It attaches to a tube that is directed at the motherboard.

I have onboard intel extreme graphics. I dont think that is the problem though because if it was then the green LED on the front of the computer would still turn on.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hmm... check and make sure the 20 pin connector from the power supply (psu) to the motherboard is connected securly and also the 4 pin if it is present.

This fan in the back is it connected directly to the psu by a 4 pin connector with yellow red and black wirers?

If it is and is not running and assuming the fan is good then it seems that the 12v rail on the psu is not producing power meaning the psu is faulty.

I can tell you how to test this if the above is true and you have a volt meter.

Rick

computergeek

computergeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, the 20 pin and the 4 pin connectors are properly inserted
and yes the fan is connected to the motherboard through red black and yellow wires though i think its a 3 pin not 4

Could you please tell me how to test the CPU. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Remove the psu from the computer, plug into the wall outlet then on the 20 pin connector touch the green and any black wirer, this will turn on the psu.

Use a volt meter digital is best, touch the red lead of the volt meter to the yellow wirer and the black lead to any black wirer.

It should read 12v but can be plus or minus 5% and still be within spec
Check the red it should be 5v plus or minus 5%
Check the orange it should be 3.3v plus or minus 5%

This is a no load test but if the psu puts out the specified voltages then it should start the computer.

After you do this post back the voltages so we can have a look

Rick