Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My videos are very dark and objects are red

• Please log in to reply

bushp04

bushp04

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have XP SP2, but want to use Media Player 6.4 or 7, b/c you can control movement by clicking on the progress bar--also, vids can be paused just by clicking anywhere on the vid screen. Media players 9 and 10 (and I guess now 11) don't seem to have this feature--it seems that you give up control to the later player versions.

Anyway, my biggy issue is with the dark, dark backgrounds and red objects!! Has M$ auto-d/l'd some updates you think that may be affecting my 7.0 codecs?

How do I just clean everything out and reload matching codecs?

What are agp codecs (or, maybe they're drivers)? Are they different from video codecs? Anyway, can they, too, be refreshed?

Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions, but I need the help!!

Thanks,

bushp04

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start with re-installing / updating the video card software

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

bushp04

bushp04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Much obliged, Keith!! I will begin the process and, if you like, post results!!

bushp04

bushp04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, the results, with a slight twist in the middle, and a question on the end!!

1. I have an nVidia GEForce 6200 256MB 300MHz graphics card with v.91.47 driver (last updated 8-11-06.)
--nothing done as this is latest known driver + I've read of many issues with later drivers for the 6200 and many people say they get better results with
earlier drivers for older cards and are rolling theirs back.

2. Before I began anything, I was studying my Benq FP71G+ monitor's settings, and noticed that the saturation bar was sitting on minus 8. It has preview images you can use to adjust your settings, so I toyed with the saturation level and the preview images went from dark/red to normal at about plus 53%.

3. I played my saved videos, and lo, they all are perfect now!!

I'm wondered if I have inadvertently solved my problem, and should I leave well enough alone or go further?

BTW, I have played some streaming video (YouTube, NBC,FOX news, Google) of late. Is it possible that some of these were corrupted, or could my video display have been adjusted by them?

Now, about these video PLAYERS. I have Media Player 6.4 (Yes it works on my XP!), MP7.0, MP9.0, MP10.0, Quicktime, Realplayer, Divx. Is there any reason for me to "simplify" and reduce the number of players? I hate MP9 and MP10 but don't see any way around them. What say you?

Many thanks!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Leave it if it has fixed itself

Windows will want to keep a version of media player, so just use the one you get the best results with

With you tube, could have been anything, rebooting the PC usually helps if some settings suddenly change