Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My sound is going batty!

• Please log in to reply

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey there. I honestly don't understand whats going on. About 5 days ago, the sound on my pc (xp-pro, 3.0ghz, 2gram) started to get all distorted and choppy. I got new drivers for my sound, and even my video. I also ran a virus scan, and spyware check to no avail. My CPU usage doesn't really go over 50%(WTM has 55 processes going), like right now as i'm running WoW in the background. (and yes i reinstalled WoW and its still being weird). Oh well if anyone as any ideas what can be done, don't hesitate! Its sooo anoying. :-/ And also, my system seems slower, much much slower.

Edited by Joshikun2501, 18 March 2007 - 06:28 AM.

Advertisements

Reya

Reya

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My boyfriend's having the exact same problem. It's happened three times now, and the only way we can make the system run normally is to reinstall windows.

Are you using an Acer system as well?

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
no, mine is a homebrew. i was hoping to not have to reinstall windows, but if thats all i can do... i was going to flash the bios, and if that doesn't work, i'll reinstall. :-)

Reya

Reya

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, it's only in our experience that we've had to reinstall. Have you tried giving the experts a Hijack This log yet? Ours was clean, but maybe in your case it's different.

Our other Techie friend says windows just corrupts like that over time. :blink: I would think over time would be something like five or more years...Not in our case. :whistling:

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
lol well, the bios flash didn't work. i cleaned out the board, made sure everything was peachy, now i'm reinstalling windows. if that doesn't work, i will cry. :-P

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
hi,

have you tried reinstalling the and getting the latest sound card drivers for your system? in my experience this has always worked.

First try uninstalling then using the device manager, restart you computer, then reinstall the drivers!

Hope that helps!

Glen

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did actually. It didn't work. I backed up what i needed to, and just went for the reinstall. i really hope it works.

Reya

Reya

• Pip
  • 7 posts
It worked for us. We got our fingers crossed for ya, dude. Good luck! :whistling:

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
To be honest, you seem to have jumped into the reinstall a little too quickly, i personally would have waiting, because here at G2G we have some real experts, I'm sure between us and yourself we could have saved you the effrts of reinstalling.

Generally, because it worked for someone, it may not work for yourself (hopefully it does), there are so many variales mainly hardware.

But please report back and let us know what happens!

Glen

Joshikun2501

Joshikun2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i was having MoBo issues. I got some help from my MoBo's mfg. After that i just decided that I would save a ton of energy by just reinstalling. I reinstalled, and everything is nice and smooth again. I know g2g has some great experts, I've come here before. :-) There really wasn't much on my pc so it's no biggie. :-)

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Well lets hope it stays that way, because my mum's laptop has had the sound issues, which i fixed! it seemed to come from a update from microsoft, as usual.

What other MoBo issue were you having? i'm trying to find a cause so we can find a cure to help other visitors to the site!

thanks

Reya

Reya

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I reinstalled, and everything is nice and smooth again.

Great to hear!

If it was windows corruption, though, beware for the same problem to recur. For Martin's computer (with a lot of re-installing of program files from both CD and internet, especially because of how much he had on the computer prior to reinstalling Windows), it takes about a month and a half of smooth sailing before things start to go buggy again. =/