Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Stuck at Splash Screen after Installer 3.1 install

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I've looked all over your forums for this problem but haven't seen it. I have an older Gateway unit (originally shipped with Win ME). It is a P4 1400MHz with 128 MB RAM, a SB Live and Nvidia Geforce2 32 MB Video. DVD Rom and older CD burner are also installed as well as an Intel NIC. I just did a brand new reformat and install of XP Home. Everything went fine. I installed AntiVir PE Antivirus guard and then started the Windows updates. All updates were fine including SP2. After SP2 I was prompted to intall Software Distribution Service 2.0. After that install the computer got stuck at the splash screen. I went into Safe mode and uninstalled that last update, to no avail. Then I tried to do a system restore to before that update was put in. Still no good. I then did a restore to before SP2 and it booted fine. I reinstalled SP2 and she booted fine again. It prompted me once again that before I could do anymore updates I had to install Software Distribution Service 2.0 (which has Windows Installer 3.1 in it). As soon as I intall the update I get stuck at the splash screen again, and I must roll back to before I installed SP2 to be able to boot to Windows. Again, if I install SP2 everything is fine, but as soon as I do the next update... KABLOOEY! It won't allow me to do any further updates without that Installer 3.1, so I know I need it, but why is it causing such a problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Install SP2 then try installing Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2). See if this stops the problem.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I just tried the Redist installer. Still no good. Keeps sitting at the splash screen with the little blue bar going left to right over and over and over and over... I'm going crazy. I've never run into something like this before. If you have any other suggestions i'll glady accept them. I'm looking at Microsofts site also, but there doesn't seem to be anyone with this exact issue.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
How long is it sitting? It may take awhile for the system to update. You don't have really enough memory on that system for anything to function quickly.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 18 March 2007 - 11:34 AM.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I let it sit for almost 10 minutes one time before I gave up. I'll add some RAM if you really think that will help, but I doubt that's the issue.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Boosted it to 512MB RAM. Still stuck at splash screen. Microsoft doesn't seem to have any fix for this issue. I also disabled the splash screen to see what step it's at when it stalls. A light blue screen comes up (similar to the one that greets you when you first boot after installing SP2) that says Windows XP Home version 5.1, SP2 (build 2600), 1 system Processor, 512 MB Memory. It just sits at that screen. I'm going to try a Windows repair with the system disk, but I may be grasping at straws.

Edited by docgoblin, 18 March 2007 - 01:18 PM.