Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

One PC on the network has no connection

• Please log in to reply

wwhite720

wwhite720

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

Lat night while working on the web I got a popup message that notified me that my PC had Limited or No internet connection. I started running scans on the PC for any malware that may be causing a problem (AdAware, Spybot, Eweido Security Suite, and AVG Free) All scans came up clean and I still had no connectivity. I have another PC (the one I am writing this on) that has complete access to the network.

I have a D-link 604 Wired router running on Win XP Hom with SP2 installed.
The working PC is running Win XP Pro with SP2 installed

1) Since last night I have switched wires from this PC to the one having problems, thinking that the cable was possibly damaged. This did not help.
2) I have rebooted both the D-Link router and Motorola Cable Modem. This did not help
3) I have plugged my PC directly into the Cable Modem. This did not give me internet access.
4) I purchased a 10/100 Ethernet card to bypass the onboard card. This did not solve the problem.
5) I have gone into my network properties and tried repairing the connection. After several minutes of trying to request a new IP address it fails.

From the command line I get the following information when doing an IPconfig
Connection Specific IP Suffix: (no info listed)
Autoconfiguarion IP Address: 169.254.23.248
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: (no info listed)

Primary DNS Suffix: +S
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
Wins Proxy Enabled: No

when entering "Ipconfig /renew" I get the following info
Windows Ip Configuration
An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.

At this point I have no idea what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated

:EDIT:
Also, I can not access the web interface of the D-Link router from either computer.
If the problem is in the router, Why wouldn't I be able to access the web by plugging directly into the cable modem (like i tried last night?)

Thanks for your time.
-Walt

Edited by wwhite720, 18 March 2007 - 12:18 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try; ipconfig /flushdns

You can also manually assign an IP that is within the range recognized by your router. This should work perfectly fine as long as another machine on the network isn't given the same IP.

wwhite720

wwhite720

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I flushed the DNS and it didn't seem to help.

When you mentioned assigning the IP address I checked the ipconfig info on the working machine. Here is what it returns

Connection Specific IP Suffix: (no info listed)
Autoconfiguarion IP Address: 70.44.78.22
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 70.44.72.1

Primary DNS Suffix: +S
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
Wins Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 70.44.78.22
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 70.44.72.1

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 70.44.78.22
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 70.44.72.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.144.161.37
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 85.255.116.29
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:15:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:15:04 PM

From the looks of it my IP address and gateway are much different on this PC

Any suggestions at this point, im still in the dark on how to correct the problem
Thanks

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Since you're on a local network and connected to the internet you actually have two IPs. the internet IP is assigned to the router but you in effect use it on the web. The LAN IP is assigned to your machine by the router and yes, it will be different and if you assign it manually it has to be within the routers range.

From the information you supplied it doesn't appear that the router is assigning you a LAN IP because you have a Windows default one. From all your description the router may have failed, I would see if you could borrow another one and try it.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62

wwhite720

wwhite720

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That solved the problem.

I went out and picked up a new router and the problem is solved.

Thanks for the help