Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Get rid of everything on hard drive

• Please log in to reply

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
I run Windows XP Home and i want to restore my computer so it will be fast again etc, i did this on my laptop (windows XP too) but i cant remmber what i did, i didnt need my Window XP disk for this. does anyone no how i did it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Probably some sort of system restore provided by your computer manufacturer.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
i got the same manufacturer, medion
If no one noes the way I'm talking about can someone tell me how to a different way i do have the disk but it confuse me

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
can someone please help because i think im going to have one of them metal acttacks things its winging me up so bad ...

JaceMan

JaceMan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not sure what you're after. The title of the thread is "Get rid of everything on hard drive" but you say you want to "restore" your system.

Clarify your situation a little if you could. What exactly are you looking to restore and what are you looking to "get rid" of?

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
See the link below for instructions on system restore

http://www.microsoft...ew_03may19.mspx

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
If you want to erase you can use this.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I run Windows XP Home and i want to restore my computer so it will be fast again etc, i did this on my laptop (windows XP too) but i cant remmber what i did, i didnt need my Window XP disk for this. does anyone no how i did it?

what is the brand of your computer?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Medion Computers Windows recovery CDs

Make sure your CD drive is set as first boot device in the Bios then boot with the Medion Recovery CD #1 in the CD drive. This will start the freash install. When you are ask put in CD #2 if the computer came with 2 CDs. CD #2 contains all of your drivers.

Medion Windows XP Recovery

Also;

Insert the Support CD and reboot.
From CD-ROM "Start Menu" select "Boot from CD-ROM"
Now Select your language using the first letter (IE "E" for English)
From "Support-CD" Menu select option "1" Setup Recovery. You will now be displayed with the following message:

"All data on drive C: will be erased. If required, backup all your data first. Proceed recovery of drive C:? "

Press ENTER to proceed to the next screen.
You have to now type in "Start" and confirm this with to start recovery.
The recovery process will begin and takes approximately 30 minutes. Once complete the system will automatically reboot and load into Windows XP, it is now ready for use.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 19 March 2007 - 08:52 AM.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
alrite these post are comfusing to me they all mean the same thing to me. All i want to do is make my computer like it was at the start when i bought it, like you have to fill in all your forms like user name etc, and when you log on all there is, is microft and nothing in my documents

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

alrite these post are comfusing to me they all mean the same thing to me. All i want to do is make my computer like it was at the start when i bought it, like you have to fill in all your forms like user name etc, and when you log on all there is, is microft and nothing in my documents

That's what my reply shows you how to do.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
erm what are the disks called ive found operating system installation cd and application and support disk

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

erm what are the disks called ive found operating system installation cd and application and support disk

You boot with the Operating System Installation CD which is XP Home. The Application and Support CD contains all of the programs that you will need to install after.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
thank you for your help all done now ... btw i did have to change one of the things you told me i put in restore factory settings insted of something eles that was no point me clicking

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Happy to hear you got it. :whistling: