Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Putting Videos From a Camcorder on a Website

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi G2G.

I recently purchased a Sony Camcorder SR82 which is a camcorder that records videos onto a hard drive. To get videos from the camcorder on to my computer I just plug it in via USB and use software (Picture Motion Browser) to extract the videos. However, I can only play the videos using that program. In other words, if I use winamp or windows media player and try to open up the video, it just plays the audio and not the video.

My overall objective was to be able to take these videos then put it up on a website so others can also view them. However, I don't know if it will work since I can't view the video image with any program other than the Picture Motion Browser.

All help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

What's the file extension for these files. Have you tried associating WMP with the files? WMP may not have the codecs (if any) to play these. Have you tried contacting Sony Support?

Know this isn't much help.

Ron

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
It's .MPG files. I looked at the properties of the videos and they are in a MPEG-2 codec. I have no clue what that means!

Is there any way I can download the appropriate codec for my media players?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Which version of WMP are you using? The MPEG-2 video decoder is also known as a DVD decoder pack. I'm still checking, but this link may be of use:
Windows Media Codecs Download Package Version 8.0

Here's what M$ has to say:

However, MPEG-1 system streams do not exclusively use the .mpg and .mpeg extensions. MPEG-2 program streams also frequently use .mpg and .mpeg file extensions, but they contain MPEG-2-encoded video. Because Microsoft Windows operating systems provide only an MPEG-1 video decoder, Windows Media Player cannot play MPEG-2 program streams without an additional MPEG-2 video decoder (also known as a DVD decoder pack) installed. For more information about purchasing DVD decoder packs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft...er/plugins.aspx

More info at: WMP File Formats

HTHs,

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 19 March 2007 - 02:25 AM.

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Great! The Downloaded Codecs worked great. Thank you!

I have one more question though. I want to put these videos up on a website because other people want to view them as well. Do they all have to download these codecs for the videos to show up properly?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
They may. It's hard to tell what people use nowadays, but you could put an explanation and a link to the codecs should they need to download them. Maybe a little description of the type of files and what they would need to play them. Glad you got the player working.

Ron